Husky in the Spotlight: Daifeng Lin

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

Year: Sophomore

Major: Business Administration

Concentration: Marketing

Favorite Place to Eat in Boston: Gyu-KaKu

I recently sat down with Daifeng (known to many as Leo), not to discuss his business interests, but rather his beautiful photography. While balancing academic work, this 2nd year Northeastern student still finds time to engage in what he loves.

How did you become interested in photography?

Throughout my life, I have always been extremely interested in art. When I was young, my mother gave me a book on the art history of Europe, and that was my first inspiration. I would look through it all the time and really I loved the pieces focusing on architecture. Initially I was going to study architecture in school, but decided to pursue something more realistic for my life. I chose marketing for a creative outlet within a business major with hopes that I can transfer that skill set to architecture. Recently, photography became, for me, a way to involve myself with architecture, as that’s the subject I mostly shoot. I’ve found photography to be a way to relax during my spare time as well because it helps me clear my mind.

What are your favorite subjects to shoot?

I like to focus on things that are – new. I like to shoot things that I don’t see in photography a lot. I like to shoot low lights, details, time lapses, things that are unusual. I like to shoot things that I find memorable.

Does anything in particular inspire you?

I want to use the camera as a tool to connect cultures. I’ve found that a lot of people have misconceptions about China, where I am from, and through photography I can show my home through my eyes. Many people think of it as lesser and undeveloped, when in reality it’s beautiful and growing rapidly. I like to show how a developing country is growing so fast and Beijing in particular is incredible. In many ways I find it better than New York, so I like to show that side to it.

Do you plan to incorporate photography in your future career?

No, I don’t plan to pursue it professionally. I look at photography more as a side passion and as a way to connect to others.

If you’re interested in checking out more of Daifeng’s work, you can follow @leolinnnn on Instagram!

Northeastern Sophomore / Business Admin Major