How to Take the Stress out of Studying for Finals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

Courtesy: Sgpsychology

1. Make a list of everything that needs to be done and how long you think it should take.

By making a list of everything that needs to be accomplished during the day you can hold yourself accountable for the work that needs to be completed. And by planning out how long you think it should take you, you can be a better ward of procrastination and accomplish your goals in a timely manner. Be realistic in the time that you think it should take you to accomplish each task. And once you are taking on a task, if you see that it is taking you longer to complete than you had thought it would, maybe you aren’t working as efficiently as possible. Once you have completed your work, nothing is more satisfying than checking it off your to-do list.

2. Spend time outdoors.

As the weather gets nicer, it becomes increasingly hard to spend the days indoors. Try bringing your work outside, and soak up the sun while being productive.

3. Work out.

Sometimes studying can interfere with your workout schedule, but try to the best of your ability to make time to exercise. Working out will not only help you to destress from all of the studying, but it even has the potential to make you more productive once you get back to studying.

4. Create a playlist.

If you need a quick break from studying, try making a playlist for once you start studying again. Music can help increase productivity and get you into the zone. Also, by listening to a playlist you don’t waste time during your active studying going through your music to find a new song once each one ends.

5. Catch up with a friend.

It might seem irresponsible to take finals week as a time to catch up with a friend, but if you’re stressed out sometimes talking to someone close to you for just 15 minutes can completely improve your mood and get you into a good head space for when it’s time to hit the books again. Try giving one of your best friends from home a call, see how she’s doing, and make plans for a fun day together once you’re both home for the summer after doing fantastically on your finals.