How to spend a weekend in Boston

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

So, your friends or family from home have decided they’re coming to visit. You obviously want to show them a good time but if you’re new to the city you may need some suggestions as to what to do. Whether it’s your other college age friends living on a strict college budget or your grandparents who can afford to splurge a little, here are some ideas for how to spend a fun weekend out with your loved  ones in the city.

Friday
If your guests visit for the day, consider taking them on a tour of Fenway Park, where they can see the mound Babe Ruth pitched from and the infamous Green Monster. At only $12 a ticket, Fenway Park tours are fifty minutes full of baseball history. Sure to be loved by sports buffs, visit their website for more information on booking a tour. Prefer science to sports? Head down to the end of the E line and visit the planetarium at the Boston Museum of Science.  After a recent $9 million renovation, the planetarium has even more to offer for just $9 a ticket. With advanced technology, the planetarium allows viewers to see an amazingly realistic night sky and to view the Earth as astronauts have in the past.

Whether you spent the day with your guests or they made it to the city just in time for dinner, spend your evening at the Bull and Finch Pub, referred to more often as Cheers. The pub, located in Beacon Hill, is where the popular sitcom, “Cheers,” was filmed. Come see live performances and enjoy great food at the place where “everybody knows your name.” Check out their website for more on all the fun and food that Cheers has to offer!

After dinner take a short walk over to Boston Common and ice skate on the Frog Pond. At just $5 dollars to skate and $8 for skate rentals, the Frog Pond is fun for everyone. Warm up after by grabbing a hot chocolate or coffee right by the pond.

Saturday
The first day of the weekend is perfect to head downtown and visit Quincy Market for shopping, food, and performances. Explore the various kiosks within Faneuil Hall Marketplace and do some shopping at stores such as Urban Outfitters, American Eagle and Abercrombie and Fitch. During the warmer months there are usually musicians and other types of street performers here who entertain the crowd. A short walk from Faneuil Hall, the waterfront has a lot to see. Check out the Christopher Columbus Parkway and take a walk along the docks to see Boston Harbor.

Love sea life? Head to the New England Aquarium to see a multitude of animals and exhibits. Visits the penguins, sea turtles, sharks, and even see an Amazon Rainforest exhibit full of piranhas, anacondas and stingrays. If it’s too cold to spend a lot of time outside, visit the IMAX theatre to see incredible images of the ocean. Although on the more expensive side at $21.95 for admission, the aquarium offers discounts for students as well as for groups. For more information on discounts and all that the aquarium has to offer, visit their website.

For dinner, take a trip to the North End, Boston’s Italian section, to experience delicious seafood and pasta at the highly rated restaurant, The Daily Catch. If you’re in the mood for a more casual dinner, head over to Regina Pizzeria for great brick-oven pizza. If you have still have room left, vist Bova’s Bakery or Mike’s Pastry for dessert. Both have great pastries such a biscotti, black and white cookies, and cannolis. Have some espresso at these Italian bakeries to give yourself some energy after a busy day in Boston.

Sunday

Relax on Sunday by getting brunch at a restaurant close to campus. Bar by night, restaurant by day, The Pour House on Boylston Street serves brunch from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. at incredibly reasonable prices. For just $4.45, try their to-die-for pumpkin and banana nut pancakes. If you’re looking for something a bit classier, head over to Charley’s on Newbury Street. All brunch plates, which range in price from $10 to $18, include a Mimosa, Bellini or Bloody Mary. Wherever you end up for brunch, walk off the grease by wandering down Newbury Street. Need a pick me up? Stop in at Piattini’s for a cappuccino and some traditional Italian dessert.

If it’s not too cold, check out Charles Street in Beacon Hill for a scenic walk. Cross the bridge for an equally beautiful view along the beautiful Charles River. If your guests aren’t in a rush to leave the city, indulge them in a Boston specialty, seafood, for dinner. Located in the Back Bay, Skipjack’s has all kinds of seafood. Whether you want shrimp, scallops, lobster, crab, salmon, or trout, Skipjack’s is sure to have it all. Another great option for seafood is B&G Oysters, which is located in the South End. End your night by walking through the Christian Science Center plaza for a great view. Often lit up at night, the plaza is surrounded by an architecturally beautiful church and a reflecting pool.

Boston is full of fun things to do, so no matter what, there will always be somewhere to take your visitors. With various different sections of the city, there are attractions everywhere. Enjoy your time with your guests and show them all of the diverse attractions that Boston has to offer! For more ideas on where to take your visitors, check out boston.com/thingstodo or visit bostonusa.com.

Rachel Kossman

Northeastern

Rachel Kossman is a Northeastern University graduate, and former Her Campus Campus Correspondent. She spent her junior and senior years writing for Her Campus National, and is thrilled to be back contributing to the Post Graduate section.Rachel is currently working as Associate Editor for DAYSPA magazine, an industry publication for spa owners, where she gets to write about spa products, business tips, spa industry news, focus on green lifestyle content, and even review a spa or two every once in a while! She is currently living back in Los Angeles, where she was born and raised, and though she misses Boston and all her friends out east, is very happy to be away from the cold and snow!