How to Realistically Keep Your New Year’s Resolutions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

Resolution #1: Get Organized

If you’re struggling on keeping your tasks straight, make some sort of a visual guide, whether it be a whiteboard, planner, or calendar! Especially for you visual learners out there, seeing your tasks spread out right in front of you can really help you understand what you have going on during the upcoming month. It only takes a couple of seconds to pencil a task in, so it’s not time-consuming and you can get super creative with it!

Some inspiration:

Resolution #2: Eat Healthier

After the holidays, everyone tries to wean off the calories and it’s totally understandable. Christmas in my household means stuffing yourself to the extreme with candied yams, and New Year’s Eve is a personal fitness trainer’s nightmare (a bottle of champagne is approximately 570 calories!). Yes, it’s nice to lose a little weight, but shoving plain lettuce in your mouth is no way to live, honey! Instead, adopt a more well-rounded diet with less red meat, less carbs, and more fruits and vegetables. For those who crave some meat, stick to proteins that have less fat, like chicken breast. As for fruits and vegetables, switch things up to include a variety! Grapes, apples, carrots and avocados are some of my personal favorites.

However, don’t forget that we are all human and deserve a cheat day! It’s okay to give in a little. Now this doesn’t mean eating a full-size bag of chips in one sitting, but you are allowed to have a couple of cookies here and there!

Start off with one cheat day a week, and slowly spread them out further within months. Healthy eating isn’t about eating as much greens as you can; it’s about self-control and knowing how far your limit is.

Resolution #3: Exercise, exercise, exercise

Everyone says that getting in shape is their resolution for the new year, but let’s be real; people usually stop working out two weeks into January. Don’t be that person! I find that getting some quality workout gear helps motivate you to actually use it. #Treatyoself to some yoga pants, a spill-free water bottle, or maybe just a yoga mat!

Another tip is set realistic goals. Let’s be real, you’re not going to shed 20 pounds after doing a couple of ab crunches. Don’t focus on how many pounds you lost, but rather the exercise movements that you’re performing. Make a weekly plan of what you’re going to do, but know your limits and don’t push yourself. For example, run 2 miles on Monday, do 100 squats on Tuesday, 100 sit-ups on Wednesday, etc. And lastly, give yourself a break once a week! You earned it!

Resolution #4: Make more friends

The struggle of going out into the world is real. Trust me, I’ve been there. You’re 20 minutes into your Netflix marathon when you suddenly remember you were supposed to go to that meeting for a club you randomly signed up for at Springfest. You then debate between staying at home to enjoy your favorite show or actually going outside. Tough choice, right?

After forcing yourself to go that darned meeting, social anxiety hits you like a ton of bricks. You stand awkwardly in a corner as you watch other people socialize and keep to yourself. It’s hard being an introverted extrovert and meeting new people, especially if you can’t muster up the courage to talk to someone first. You then question why you even left your apartment in the first place, and even consider going back.

I’ve learned that it takes so much effort to socialize, especially in college. In my mind, everyone seems like they either don’t want to talk to you or already have friends. Friends are such an essential part of the college experience, and putting in the effort is worthwhile in the long run. Haul yourself to get out of bed to go to that club, because clubs are an opportunity to meet new people who aren’t limited to your major. Try talking to that person who always sits next to you in class and make small conversation like “Have you started on that project yet?” Class actually gives you something to bond over with fellow students, because they’re probably struggling through that one class just like you!

Resolution #5: Allowing some ~me time~

After a long day of going to lectures and attending extracurricular activities, you come home and just don’t want to do anything. Yet, you still have to shower, somehow make and eat dinner, and start your homework. It’s exhausting being a full-time student!

With all of that going on, remember to allow time for yourself. It can be something as little as putting on a face mask at the end of the day or even scrolling through social media in bed. If you’ve had a long week of exams, allow for a break with some Netflix on Friday night or going out with your friends. Whatever it may be, no one can work hard without a little bit of rest here and there, so remind yourself to take a breather once in awhile!