courtney cook uoHvtkDcH8M unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
courtney cook uoHvtkDcH8M unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How To Celebrate Galentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

Courtesy of Giphy

A long, long time ago (OK, it was only 2010 but we were still on the iPhone 3 and Justin and Selena hadn’t even started dating for the first time) a little show called Parks and Recreation aired an episode called “Galentine’s Day” that would change the international calendar of holidays forever. In the episode, peppy and passionate protagonist, Leslie Knope, created Galentine’s Day, a holiday celebrated on Feb. 13 when she and her lady friends leave the men at home and celebrate each other! If you reckon the idea of showing the women in your life how much you love them more than the time One Direction posed with puppies, here are some ideas to make the holiday a reality!

Host a Bachelor Winter Games viewing party

Courtesy of Giphy

It’s like the big-wigs over at ABC had a sixth sense that gal pals across the nation would need some guilty pleasure entertainment on Galentine’s Day! It’s perfect timing, so why not invite the girls around to your dorm to catch the premiere of a show about hopeless romantics competing for love and gold medal glory. Just make sure you’ve got enough pizza and Ben and Jerry’s on hand while you judge people who are not only attractive, but also exercising.

Organize a brunch date

Courtesy of Giphy

Honour the original Galentine’s Day by going to brunch between classes with the leading ladies in your life. Extras points if you order Leslie Knope’s favourite food – waffles!

Send cute cards to your besties

Courtesy of Giphy

Let your pals know how much you love them in a way that will make them happy-cry. While Etsy has lots of quirky options, you could also throw together a DIY masterpiece worthy of a spot on the fridge by using some Leslie Knope girl-power quotes (“ovaries before brovaries” and “uteruses before duderuses” are personal faves), or slapping a heartfelt message on the back of a printed photo.

Craft!

Courtesy of Giphy

What’s that? Bonding and present making? Throw it back to your summer camp days with a group arts and crafts session. Weave each other friendship bracelets or work together to create a jar filled with favourite memories and inside jokes!

Schedule a Skype session with your long-distance pals

Courtesy of Giphy

Has this semester been so busy that you’ve barely had time to reply to texts from your friends at home? Galentine’s Day is the perfect opportunity to schedule a face-to-face (or as close to as possible) catch-up! Make a date out of it by picking a favourite food to chow down on together and press play at the exact same time on an empowering girl movie (Hint: Legally Blonde, Bend It Like Beckham, and Mulan all get the Leslie Knope tick of approval).

Get matching tattoos

Courtesy of Giphy

Just kidding! Or am I…?

Yazmine Lomax is an Irish-Australian writing student currently studying at Northeastern University in Boston. She loves reading, traveling, watching The Office, and petting every puppy possible