Holiday Season Viewing Essentials

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

It’s that time of year again! In this midst of finals week, you’re inevitably attempting to fit in a holiday Netflix binge. Unfortunately, there’s just no way you’ll be able to fit in all your favorite holiday-themed shows and movies. If you’re looking for a cliff notes version that’s just enough to help you survive finals week, look no further: here’s a selection of shows and movies that will get you into the holiday spirit without taking up too much studying time.

TV Shows

1. Friends: The One with the Holiday Armadillo

There are a lot of enjoyable Friends holiday episodes, but this one tops them all. Even if you’re not a long-time Friends fan like I am, you can’t help but smile when you see Ross dressed as the so-called “Holiday Armadillo,” telling his son, Ben, about Hanukkah. It’s heartwarming and hilarious all in one.

1. Parks and Recreation: Citizen Knope

This episode of Parks and Rec is equally heartwarming, with Leslie’s friends coming through for her just when she needs them the most. This is also a good substitute if you were too busy studying to make it to one of Northeastern’s annual gingerbread house contests.

1. Gossip Girl: Roman Holiday

If you’re looking for a little GG nostalgia for the holidays, this episode’s got it all, from drama to cute outfits to unexpectedly sweet moments. If you feel like no episode of Gossip Girl is complete without a romantic moment between Blair and Chuck (I don’t blame you), check out the season 2 episode, “It’s a Wonderful Life.”

Movies

1. Love Actually

Some love it, some hate it, but there’s no denying that this movie is a holiday classic. If you need an emotional diversion from the stress of studying for finals, take a hot chocolate and Netflix break or set up a movie night with your friends. Hugh Grant dancing can cheer anyone up.

1. It’s a Wonderful Life

You can’t go wrong with the classics. If you haven’t seen It’s a Wonderful Life, now is the time. If you have seen it, now’s the perfect time to rewatch. This movie is uplifting in the best way, and always reminds me that there is still plenty of happiness to be found even in difficult times.

1. Home Alone

Another classic, Home Alone is both silly and sentimental, which makes it the perfect movie to watch during finals. Kevin’s dysfunctional-but-loving family will make you appreciate your own even more, especially since you’re only a few days away from reconnecting with your loved ones.

Gwen Schanker

Northeastern

Emily Feltault

Northeastern

Hi my name is Emily Feltault and I am a rising sophomore at Northeastern University! I am one of the new Campus Correspondents for my chapter and am excited to get started!!