Halloweekend Movie Marathon

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.
Halloweekend is upon us and there is plenty to do around Boston: parties, bar crawls, ghost tours, trips to Salem, and maybe even trick-or-treating. But unfortunately, the cold weather is also upon us and perhaps your Lil’ Miss Lederhosen costume won’t survive the chilly nights. Another way to celebrate Halloween is from the comfort of your own couch, watching movies. Whether it’s your favorite childhood movies or a film that will leave you and your roommates hiding under the couch, the following list covers all the bases, from sweet and nostalgic to freaktastic and spooky.

Hocus Pocus (1993) – Remember this Disney classic from your childhood? Do you remember that it takes place nearby in Salem? I didn’t until it was on TV a few weeks ago. Three witches are resurrected on Halloween night and cause chaos in Salem. It’s worth it just to watch the creepy scene where Sarah Jessica Parker sings “Come Little Children.”

Casper (1995) – The original Casper definitely beats any sequels made. Christina Ricci and Casper prove that ghosts can be friendly.

It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown (1966) – An oldie but a favorite. If you think you’re too old for the Peanuts – you’re not.

The Adaams Family (1991) – We all have the theme song memorized (with the snaps too.) Even if you don’t love this creepy family, it can at least make your own family seem a little bit more normal.

The Rocky Horror Picture Show (1975) – A couple accidentally finds themselves in an over-the-top transvestite’s castle after their car breaks down in the rain. Many horror movies seem to start with a car breaking down in the rain, but this film is more fun than scary. You can watch it at home, but it’s even better to watch with an audience and dress up to go see it, which is currently happening at Oberon in Cambridge.

The Shining (1980) – Don’t watch this alone, or in the dark, or maybe at all if you don’t want nightmares. This Stephen King novel-made-movie is creepy and will probably haunt you for years, especially if you find yourself staying in a creepy hotel one day.

The Exorcist (1973) – A 12-year-old girl getting possessed by evil spirits should fulfill your scare factor for the night. This is another one you probably shouldn’t watch alone.

Enjoy your Halloweekend, collegiettes™!

Photos Courtesy of: movieblog