This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

For the many Huskies embarking on co-op this semester, jumping into the working world proves exciting, but also nerve-racking and exhausting. As an opportunity to apply our studies, co-op lets us explore career paths, boost our resumes, and earn some money—all before graduation. On top of that, it’s a welcome break from the stress and monotony of classes. Still, co-op is work by definition and sure to induce anxieties of its own. Whether you’re starting your first, second, or third co-op, the first week can be a whirlwind of conflicting emotion.Arguably the greatest perk of co-op and the easiest transition? No homework! Who couldn’t get used to that? Sure, your job may entail that you take some work home with you once in a while, but at least you don’t have to spend your nights reading chapter after chapter in textbooks, plugging away at problem sets, or writing tedious essays. Once your workday ends, you can step away from your responsibilities and spend your time however you please. Still, it’s easy to forget that when you’re taking courses, you actually spend relatively little time in classes. An eight-hour workday takes a greater toll on your body and mind than a couple of hours spent sitting in class. On co-op, you can’t throw on sweats when you’re feeling sluggish or take a nap between demanding assignments. You’ll have days when all you want to do when you get home is eat mac and cheese and watch Netflix, but instead you’ll have to go grocery shopping and do laundry, and then you’ll be so tired that you’ll go to bed at 10. Basically, no homework is awesome, but that awesomeness is offset by the lack of free time you have at your disposal during the week.For most Huskies, co-op means very little time on campus. Whether you’re working out of state or right on Huntington Ave, you may find yourself missing some campus activities and hotspots. No more meeting up with friends at Rebecca’s. No more Hungry Hungry Husky mac and cheese. No more walking around campus in the  daylight (seriously, there’s nothing more disheartening than realizing that, Monday through Friday, you only see campus in the dark). Thankfully, co-op brings a whole new set of places to explore, people to meet, and food trucks to try. Take advantage of your time off campus and branch out. When you come back to campus next semester, you may even find yourself missing parts of your co-op routine—apart from the commute, that is. Unless you live merely a short walking distance from your co-op, chances are a chunk of your day is spent on a frustrating commute. Developing a feel for your commute can be a tedious task during your first week. What time should you wake up? When should you leave? Should you take the commuter rail or carpool? Is the T running on schedule? Should you squeeze onto that packed Orange line train or wait seven minutes for the next one? The questions never end, especially considering the unpredictability of Boston winters and the resulting unreliability of public transportation. Getting to work via the T can be an all out war some days. Getting home isn’t any better. Every now and then, you’ll likely arrive late to a club meeting or just barely snag a seat in Blackman before a show. If you actually find your commute consistent or comfortable, count yourself one of the lucky few. For the rest of us, getting to and from work is a crapshoot and personal space is a luxury. The first week of co-op can be a lot to take in. Maybe you love the work and the people and feel like you’re a great fit. Maybe you’re struggling and overwhelmed. Maybe you’re bored. You’re probably tired. No matter how you feel after your first week, it’s important to keep things in perspective. It’s going to take longer than a week to get into the swing of things, and you never know when situations will improve. Just give it your all, accept that you’ll make mistakes, and grant yourself time to adjust. And, if you find yourself in a less than ideal co-op, just remember: it’s only six months. Would you rather be doing homework? 

Jillian Ferrari

Northeastern

Morgan Weadock

Northeastern

Morgan is currently a third year at Northeastern University in Boston working towards a degree in Finance and a dual minor in Economics and Political Science. She is the co-president and Campus Correspondent for the Northeastern Her Campus Chapter and also involved with Alpha Kappa Psi and Streak Media. Morgan is originally from NJ and despite popular sentiment believes it to be the best state in the country. Her interests include cooking things that don't look as pretty as they did on Pinterest, reading while drinking tea, going to the beach, fitness and nutrition, and Netflix binging (: