Give a Spit About Cancer… Right on Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

It is a thought often had but rarely fulfilled: “I want to do something to help.”

But now there is a big cause searching speficially for the help of college students.

DoSomething.org’s “Give A Spit About Cancer” campaign is back this year in a battle against cancer. In partnership with Be the Match, Do Something searches for college student to run bone marrow donor registration drives on campus.

So no more excuses. In the busy college lives students lead, there isn’t always time to lend a hand, but now you can!

And did you know that Leukemia kills more children every year than any other disease? Only 30 percent of patients in need of a bone marrow can find a match within their family. That means 70 percent of those patients rely on total strangers just like…you.

Only 10 percent of them receive the donations they need.

The DoSomething campaign is already in effect but it’s been extended to Dec. 1st. So, sign up and for free of charge they will ship interested student swab kits containing all of the materials needed to run a drive.

Plus, drive participants will even receive prizes.

Sign up to participate at www.dosomething.org/spit or text “SPIT” to 38383 for more information or email your questions to spit@dosomething.org

Melanie Dostis

Northeastern

Melanie Dostis is a journalism major at Northeastern University. She has been involved with Her Campus since her sophomore year, being elected co-correspondent her junior year- a position she is thrilled to continue in her last year. She lives a writing-filled life and wouldn't have it any other way. She is currently interning at Boston Magazine and is a correspondent for the Boston Globe and USA Today. She can usually be found back in her home-roots of wonderful New York on weekends, exploring her second home in Boston, or often back in her family roots of Ecuador, gorging on massive amounts of Hispanic dishes....Follow her on Twitter @MelDostis. HCXO!