This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

Sadly, spring break is over, but that means you’ve had plenty of time to binge-watch the first season of Fuller House. While far from a hit with critics (how rude!), the show has lived up the hype for many nostalgic fans. Yes, it’s cheesy and cringe-inducing, but for Full House enthusiasts the show delivers a mix of wholesome 90s-sitcom laughs and modern meta humor. Luckily for us, there’s more to come: Netflix renewed Fuller House for a second season just a few days after the show’s release. As we eagerly await the next batch of episodes, here’s a recap of season one’s hits and misses. Spoilers ahead!

Hit: The cast

You’re lying if you claim you weren’t compelled to cheer along with the live audience as characters reunited during the pilot. Despite a twenty-year gap, the actors’ chemistry remains as natural as ever, and their delight in being back together enhances viewer satisfaction. Candace Cameron Bure, Jodie Sweetin, and Andrea Barber’s longtime friendship adds a touching layer of sincerity to their relationships on screen. Ultimately, Fuller House thrives on these beloved characters, and their joyful return to our TV (or laptop) offsets even the weakest of the show’s storylines.

Miss: Steve

While fans were thrilled by news that Scott Weinger would reprise his role as Steve, the character failed to live up to expectations. There’s no easy way to say it: Steve is a creep. His proclamations of love for DJ come off as smothering rather than endearing, and that bottomless stomach gag isn’t as funny for a middle-aged man. Steve’s return would have been so much more satisfying if his renewed relationship with DJ developed more slowly over the course of the season. (And it didn’t help that he was pitted so blatantly against Matt in what may be the most annoying love triangle of 2016.)

Hit: Meta jokes

In addition to its cast, Fuller House runs on self-awareness — the show triumphs when characters deliver meta jokes that reference the actors’ lives. Who can forget that cheeky nod to Michelle’s absence? It wasn’t the only time the Olsen twins were playfully burned: In episode 7, Ramona buys an Elizabeth & James dress, prompting Kimmy to exclaim, “At these prices, no wonder they don’t need to act anymore!” There are nods to John Stamos’s role on General Hospital (Jesse moves to LA to be a music composer for the soap opera), Candace Cameron Bure’s position on The View (DJ tells Steph to always choose The View), and her stint on Dancing with the Stars (basically all of episode 3). But the best is in episode 12, when Steve mentions he has “You Oughta Know” playing in his car and DJ responds, “You know who that song is really about?” (Supposedly, Alanis Morissette wrote it about her ex, Dave Coulier).

Miss: Corny catch phrases

Fuller House wouldn’t be complete without a “how rude!” or “cut it out!” But rather than being woven cleverly into the script, these iconic catchphrases are thrown out aimlessly for cheap laughs. Sure, cheesiness is part of the show’s charm, but it would have been nice if writers had saved some of this nostalgic cheese to deliver witty, savory moments.

Hit: Dirty humor

DJ’s miscommunication with the “plumber,” Stephanie’s cleavage, Kimmy’s Kama Sutra knowledge: Fuller House didn’t hold back on the sexual innuendos. Understandably, this dash of racy humor upset families looking for a wholesome g-rated show, but for those seeking their next Netflix comedy binge, this edge provided some unexpected laughs. The best “dirty” joke? Definitely Max’s contemporary take on bad words.

Miss: DJ Tanner plays Coachella

Despite the success of its Trump joke, Fuller House tried a little too hard to be cool. Does Stephanie really have to be a DJ? And are we really expected to believe she’s famous enough to play Coachella? Everything about Steph’s career — from her gig at Ramona’s party to her streaming Max’s trombone recital for the Coachella crowd — was cringeworthy.

Hit: Kimmy.

Kimmy Gibbler is an acquired taste. If you thought she was quirky in the 90s, you won’t believe her now. Her eccentricity may come off as annoying or dimwitted, but in the end Kimmy’s just an overblown version of that friend we all have: she’s a weirdo, but you’ve got to love her. From her Fathead to her unconventional parenting, Kimmy provides some of the strangest laughs. I for one am glad she hasn’t changed a bit.

Miss: Nicky & Alex

At least one set of twins returned to the house: Dylan Tuomy-Wilhoit and Blake Tuomy-Wilhoit reprise their roles as Alex and Nicky Katsopolis, respectively. While it was fun to see them all grown up, their few seconds of screen time renders them nothing more than two-dimensional characters. If the Tuomy-Wilhoit brothers are up for more than a cameo next season, let’s hope we get to see them as more than the stereotypical surfer bros (although that fish taco truck sounds pretty great).

Hit: Girls’ night

In episode 3, Stephanie and Kimmy take DJ on a much-needed night out and hijinks ensue. The club scene is ridiculous (Chmerkovskiy brothers! Macy Gray! Fernando!), but that’s part of the Fuller House charm. The night ends with DJ helping Kimmy win a dance off with their old Dirty Dancing routine. Watching these three women support each other and have fun along the way is definitely a highlight throughout the season.

Miss: DJ’s choice

While it’s great to see DJ embrace her independence (and not replace Kimmy and Steph’s support with a man’s), this Bachelor-esque scene feels like a cop-out. Will this love triangle drag into the second season? Matt’s now DJ’s business partner and Steve’s basically a stalker, so it appears these two will stick around. Hopefully season two refrains from forcing love interests upon DJ as quickly and intensely as season one. Let the woman breathe!

Jillian Ferrari

Northeastern

Emily Feltault

Northeastern

Hi my name is Emily Feltault and I am a rising sophomore at Northeastern University! I am one of the new Campus Correspondents for my chapter and am excited to get started!!