Food for Thought: Your Finals Diet

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

Eating the right foods may not seem an essential part of preparing for exams, but students would be surprised to find that their dietary choices during the final exam period may be helping or hurting their efforts to succeed. “The brain requires quality nutrition to ensure optimum performance,”said Clare Evangelista, a registered dietician. Even though it may be tempting to reach for stress-relieving foods or have another cup of coffee instead of a snack, maintaining a healthy diet during finals week will put the body and the mind in the perfect mode for test taking.

What to eat before an exam!
The best types of sustenance to indulge in before an exam are foods that are high in protein. The body uses proteins to synthesize amino acids. Amino acids are precursors for some neurotransmitters that stimulate the brain into a motivated and alert state. Foods like Greek yogurt, eggs, lean meats, nuts and beans are all excellent sources of protein. Protein also gives the body the feeling of being full for a longer period of time. So instead of being distracted by the sensation of an empty stomach that is gurgling and telling your mind that you need food an hour into that two hour exam,  eat some healthy sources of protein before the final and your brain can be completely focused on the test for the entire period.

Foods that are rich in Omega-3-fatty acids are perfect fuel for the brain. Studies have shown that children who consume higher levels of Omega-3-fatty acid foods actually perform better on tests than children who consume less of the nutrient. The nutrient enhances the brain’s memory capacity and promotes better concentration when consumed. Unfortunately, the best natural source of Omega-3-fatty acids is found in fish such as salmon and sardines, so for people who do not like fish, they must seek alternative methods for acquiring the nutrient. The nutrient can also be found in walnuts, flax seed, hazelnuts, cashews, and fortified yogurt and eggs. Omega-3-fatty acid capsules can also be taken, but avoid purchasing the low cost supplements as compared to the more expensive Omega-3-fatty acid capsules. The cheaper price is usually too good to be true and those capsules usually have negligible nutrient value (and leave a fishy aftertaste, yuck!).

When the body and brain crave quick energy, people usually run to carbohydrates and sugary sweets for a fast, easy energy boost. Be careful though! Foods filled with sugar and processed carbs, like white bread, will sharply increase blood sugar levels, provide a quick short-lived boost, but will only lead to the inevitable crash later. The sudden spike in blood sugar and corresponding crash will make it difficult to focus and leave a person feeling more tired than he or she was initially. However, carbs are not all bad.  Whole-grain bread and other carbs that are high in fiber do not cause spikes in blood sugar which means that they do provide a source of needed energy without a crash later on.  Fiber-rich foods also help to keep the body feeling fuller longer which avoids the distractions associated with that desire to munch.

What to eat while studying!
While studying for those exams, it may be tempting to reach for “stress-relieving foods” or to begin the bad habit of stress eating. At the end of a semester, many students are usually cognizant of the weight they have gained, so stress related eating may only add to those undesirable love handles. During late night study sessions, pack efficient snacks so the middle of the night run to the vending machine can be avoided. Fruits are an excellent way of satisfying a desire of something sweet, and fruits like blueberries, apples and bananas are proven to provide a natural kick of energy. Any sort of vegetable is also a guilt free way too munch late at night. If a sweet is necessary to conquer that last hour of studying, reach for some dark chocolate. Eating dark chocolate in reasonable portions (the whole box should be avoided) is proven to lower stress levels, increase concentration, and boost energy.

While it may seem tempting to buy a bag of chips or a box of crackers with the thought that only half has to be eaten and the rest can be saved for later, stress can uncontrollably cause an individual to continue eating far after his body becomes full. If someone gets the sense that he or she is indulging too much due to stress he or she should try buying a pack of gum or mints! Anyone can pop in a piece of gum after she has eaten enough to satisfy her nutritional needs and chewing the gum will help to prevent undesirable binges.

Coffee sales on college campuses must drastically spike during finals week. It is okay to stimulate the brain with a cup once or twice a day, but substituting caffeine for sleep during finals week will only be detrimental to a student’s body and his or her GPA. The body uses sleep to help store all those facts memorized in the library all day! If a caffeine boost is needed, instead of downing cup after cup of coffee to stay awake long enough to cram more facts into one’s brain, try switching to a cup of green tea. Green tea improves peoples’ moods and decreases stress levels while providing a source of caffeine.

Other tips!
It may seem funny to some, but when students are so engrossed in studying, they often forget to eat enough. A great deal of the time many students substitute their Red Bulls and coffees for meals, but the brain and body need the proper fuel to function! Obviously, over- indulging is not good for one’s health, but not eating deprives the body of the nutritious fuel it needs to enable a person to study and absorb all the information to properly prepare for exams.  Some people feel that they do not have the time to eat a nutritious meal because they are too busy cramming for that big final.  Unfortunately, however, depriving the body for the fuel it needs only means that one’s retention levels are diminished.  Taking a few extra minutes to eat will offset that extra minute or two of studying that will be forgotten in a hunger haze.

Another problem that arises during finals week is that many students are focused on cleaning out their fridges! Knowing they are leaving for about a month, those eggs and cheeses are definitely going to go bad. No one likes wasting food, but give some thought to whether or not the three remaining eggs in that carton bought at the beginning of the semester is the best thing with which to make an omelet an hour before your final. Feeling nauseous during an entire final simply because throwing away that two week old milk did not seem like a good option is foolish. Eating well for finals does not mean consuming all the uneaten food in the fridge just to clean it out! Stock up on some essential fresh groceries the week before exams or save up meal swipes and avoid the regret associated with eating something that was just a little too old.  No one likes to waste money, but think how much you or your family is paying for your education.  With that perspective, throw out the old stuff and eat healthy and that will help you do your best on those finals.

Melanie Dostis

Northeastern

Melanie Dostis is a journalism major at Northeastern University. She has been involved with Her Campus since her sophomore year, being elected co-correspondent her junior year- a position she is thrilled to continue in her last year. She lives a writing-filled life and wouldn't have it any other way. She is currently interning at Boston Magazine and is a correspondent for the Boston Globe and USA Today. She can usually be found back in her home-roots of wonderful New York on weekends, exploring her second home in Boston, or often back in her family roots of Ecuador, gorging on massive amounts of Hispanic dishes....Follow her on Twitter @MelDostis. HCXO!