stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Food of the Month: Kale

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

Kale has become the trendy new food for this past summer and upcoming fall. Because it is so chock full of vitamins, fiber, water and antioxidants, it is not only trendy but a super food.

After some consulting on Webmd, I have found that in one cup of kale you can get 684% of daily recommended value of Vitamin K. This special vitamin is so underappreciated, it is responsible for blood clotting, bone health, and reduces the overall risk of developing cancer! If preventing cancer wasn’t enough, for all of us who suffer from dark under eye circles, vitamin K can get rid of those.

Great ways to add kale to your diet on a college budget:

1. Have canned soup? Just chop up some kale and throw in the pan, simmer until soup is hot and enjoy. Its great because you’ll be getting more out of your meal, feel fuller faster, and using up leftovers/ things in your pantry.

1. Like salad? Add these dark green as an extra crunch and nutrient boost to your salad.

1. When making a sandwich/ burger instead the classic lettuce and ketchup. Try topping them with kale and avocado/guacamole. Its so delicious, your taste buds won’t know you’re eating so healthy.

1. Pesto. A common topping for pasta, adding kale is a modern way to enjoy the iconic italian comfort food. Instead of just basil try adding some kale, parsley and spinach to the recipe. Add a splash olive oil, handful of nuts and a few shakes of parmesan cheese. Blend and pour over pasta. Its cra cra delicious.

1. The newest way everyone has been enjoying kale is as chips. Yep, kale chips are the trendy new way to feed your salty/crunchy cravings. These baked chips are the new replacement to our frenemy the potato. As much as I love a good potato chip with an even better french onion dip, all that starch is going to my hips, so thank God for kale chips.

Also, check out this great recipe for a kale chip recipe!

Preferences§1234567890-=Backspace Tabqwertyuiop[] Return  capslockasdfghjkl;' shift`zxcvbnm,./shift  English  Deutsch Español Français Italiano Português Русский alt alt  Preferences
Melanie Dostis

Northeastern

Melanie Dostis is a journalism major at Northeastern University. She has been involved with Her Campus since her sophomore year, being elected co-correspondent her junior year- a position she is thrilled to continue in her last year. She lives a writing-filled life and wouldn't have it any other way. She is currently interning at Boston Magazine and is a correspondent for the Boston Globe and USA Today. She can usually be found back in her home-roots of wonderful New York on weekends, exploring her second home in Boston, or often back in her family roots of Ecuador, gorging on massive amounts of Hispanic dishes....Follow her on Twitter @MelDostis. HCXO!