The Five Stages of Being Sick

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

You fall onto your soft pillow at night and immediately are lulled into a peaceful sleep. The next morning, you wake up with a sore throat, a runny nose, and your ears are blocked, on top of that. When you speak, you sound like E.T. and it’s a little bit scary to you. Finally, when you try to get up, you have pain all over. You then go through all the stages of being sick — like everyone else.

1. You panic because you have to go to work today and you don’t want to piss off your boss. After calling in sick, you ruminate for a while and wonder at what point the virus entered your body (it was probably when you were outside wearing only two layers).
  2. You cry a little bit on the inside as you remember you were supposed to go to that really important club meeting, so you offer to at least Skype in and possibly risk disgusting everyone with your state of being (read: runny nose).
  3. You feel a little happier now that you have a break from your hectic college life, but then you remember that you have a paper that’s due tonight at midnight and you cry a lot on the outside. While you’re slurping your Cup Noodle (it’s soup so it must be healthy, right?), you bang out your paper and take Netflix breaks in between.
  4. You’re feeling a little better, so you decide to take a five-minute break on Tumblr that somehow ends up being two hours. You realize that you feel physically and emotionally exhausted and you just want to get better so you can keep living your life.
  5. You turn in the paper and go to sleep early, so at, like, 2 in the morning (after you’ve taken one too many BuzzFeed quizzes). You wake up feeling no less groggy, but let’s face it — you can’t afford to lose more time. You have no choice but to just survive.
Natalie S.

Northeastern

I'm Natalie! I am double majoring in Economics and Psychology at Northeastern University. I like to play piano, watch T.V., paint, draw, read, write, and dance! I speak fluent Spanish as my family is from Argentina and Uruguay, and I have a wonderful twin sister whom I absolutely love.
Morgan Weadock

Northeastern

Morgan is currently a third year at Northeastern University in Boston working towards a degree in Finance and a dual minor in Economics and Political Science. She is the co-president and Campus Correspondent for the Northeastern Her Campus Chapter and also involved with Alpha Kappa Psi and Streak Media. Morgan is originally from NJ and despite popular sentiment believes it to be the best state in the country. Her interests include cooking things that don't look as pretty as they did on Pinterest, reading while drinking tea, going to the beach, fitness and nutrition, and Netflix binging (: