This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

“Don’t be into trends. Don’t make fashion own you, but you decide what you are, what you want to express by the way you dress and the way to live.” – Gianni Versace

What Gianni is saying is that people allow fashion to have authority over them instead of allowing them to have authority over fashion. Many people use fashion as art to express themselves in any way they want. Fashion is what makes people feel more creative and accomplished. Now in this century, people only look at what is in style instead of actually using their creative minds to wear what they feel. I see many different styles. I see individuals wearing clothes that are in style. In addition, I also see other people wearing their own creative, and artistic styles.  It is better to wear your own designs and be creative with your own ideas, because most of the time you will feel better on the inside that you were able to express your own thoughts. Fashion is the only way that a person is able to express their mind.

Ever since my adolescent years, I have always had a salient interest in apparel design. My mind cradles the idea of independence and command of my own entity. My love for fashion sprouted from the artistic Nigerian Ankara pieces adorned by women across Africa. Additionally, the unique world of fashion is incredible and appeals to all, regardless of one’s profession. I continue to create more and think more with the main interesting fabrics such as velvet, lace, and Ankara aka African print. Fashion is the science of appearance. It infuses the esteem of grandeur and functionality with one’s work, and serves as an expressionistic medium for individuals. My interest in fashion design has led me to choose a career in business with a specialization in my own clothing brand, unifying my sincere passion and logical choice of profession.

Many individuals use fashion to express themselves every day and to show who they are as a person. Fashion is something that allows people to be creative and innovative, fearless and beautiful. I plan to encapsulate images of fashion and business through a real world of exigence and determination. I plan to fulfill that in my journey as an undergraduate student and being able to get a head start in university is the best way to experience this forthcoming journey. Fashion allows me to be creative and carefree when it comes to getting dressed or even creating new designs on paper or on a sewing machine. I am in an entirely whole different world when I am being creative. I wear different kinds of clothing, but most of the time I wear my traditional clothing or professional clothing. The designs that I wear identify me and my beliefs or actions as an individual. I don’t like to wear revealing or inappropriate clothing, because I believe that it can show who you are as a person. I know that it is bad to judge a person by how they dress, but I also know that a person can always dress appropriately.

Fashion is very important to me because I can express my own views on it as well as showing who I am as person. I don’t have to dress the same way as anyone because I have my own style and it suits me best. I hate wearing the same style as everyone else and being just like them. In my opinion, I think it is better for other individuals to have their own style and feel comfortable. They shouldn’t feel obligated to wear the “new look” or expensive clothing.

As Yves Saint Laurent once said “Fashions fade, style is eternal.” Individuals who have their own personal style are likely to be at their best when they are producing their own skills as an artist, which makes them feel whole. I believe it is better to have a creative mind that will show who you are as person outside. People like Coco Chanel and Tory Burch inspire me to be great. Coco Chanel put it upon herself to produce her wild ideas of fashion and go with them. She used jersey fabric, pearls, jewels, and lace to basically transform an ordinary item of clothing into an extraordinary piece of art. She did not care about anybody’s opinion, which I think makes her a great role model and gives her great character.