This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

People always leave. That is the one thing I’ve learned throughout all the times I’ve moved between schools, cities, and even countries. I’ve had more than fifty “best friends” and “friend groups.” Now, I’m in college, my freshman year, and I am still trying to figure myself out. I now realize the only “best friends” and “friend group” that stayed with me no matter what was my family.

Merriam-Webster defines love as a “strong feeling of affection,” but to me love is anything that you feel. Anger, hatred, happiness, sadness, everything in the end is connected back to the feeling of love. Sometimes my parents and I fight, as any teenager can relate to; we say things we don’t mean, make each other unhappy, but in the end we always come back together because we are a family. We make each other happy, and the good times always make us forget the bad times.

Last semester, I felt really homesick every time I wasn’t feeling well. I missed the attention from my parents and how they would make sure I was okay. They were always there to sympathize, and I was just so dependent on them. College is different. Everyone is concerned for themselves, and you need to be independent, do your own thing, and live your college life.

This piece is for families all around the world who are going through hard times. The only thing getting you through these times is the fact that you are always together.