This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

It’s that time of the year again! The temperature is slowly dropping, the leaves are beginning to change color, and pumpkin flavored drinks are taking over your local Starbucks and Dunkin’ Donuts. That means it’s finally time to start thinking about your fall wardrobe. Pack away your crop tops and denim cut offs! Here are some fall staples and trends that will surely enhance your look this season:

Trench Coat/Vest

The trench coat is a classic staple. When you think of a trench coat, you may think of the classic trench from the Burberry collection, or, if you’re like me, you think of Sherlock Holmes and how he undoubtedly rocks a trench. Nothing says fall like a trench coat that will add class and style to your outfit. Another option that’s becoming more popular is a trench vest. Check out some options from Zara and Forever 21!

Maroon lipstick

One of my favorite parts about the colder season is the transition of makeup. Don’t get me wrong, I love the shades of pink lipstick and bold orange undertones of summer, but there’s something undeniably sexy about a maroon lip. Here are a couple of options: NARS Velvet Matte Lip Pencil-Train Bleu; NARS Scarlet Empress. Don’t forget your lip primer!

CAUTION: It will bring out the inner beast in you.

Also, check out this gorgeous OPI nail color for the fall!

Over-The-Knee Boots

For the past year or so, I have been absolutely OBSESSED with over-the-knee boots. I have yet to find a pair within my budget, but if you’re willing to splurge, I HIGHLY recommend the Stuart Weitzman Highland boots. Boots like these are perfect for the fall because you can dress them up with a long sleeved dress and jacket, or stay casual in jeans and a plain T-shirt. It’s a must-have for your fall shoe collection, and I promise you’ll get loads of compliments. Since most of us are on a college budget, some other options are Aldo and Chinese Laundry.

Fur vests

Fur vests have made a huge comeback in the recent years. Forever 21 has the perfect selection of fur vests that will be sure to appeal to whatever style you may be looking for. These pieces are perfect for the fall because not only will they keep you warm, but they can spice up a casual outfit instantly.

Oversized Handbags

Oversized handbags are perfect for the fall not only for their style, but also for their versatility. For students attending class, it’s not easy carrying everything you need. Yes, backpacks are our loyal best friends each semester, but who said you can’t rock a handbag when you’re on your way to learn about quantum physics or entrepreneurship? You just need to look at the right places for oversized handbags that will fit your laptop and notebooks. TJ Maxx and Marshalls are great stores for finding items like these, and they’ll definitely bump up your style for the season.

Boyfriend Style

In New England, fall can be a tricky season. It is that infamous time of the year when it feels like December in the morning, but by mid afternoon it’s like you’ve traveled back in time to August. Boyfriend style clothing items are perfect for the fall because they have the comfort to keep you warm in the mornings, but the motility for air circulation when the warmer temperatures start to creep in during the afternoon. Boyfriend jeans and blazers are huge trends during this time of year. Not to mention they give anyone an effortlessly chic look when paired with a plain t-shirt and sneakers or chelsea boots. You can find this look at ZARA, Forever 21 or H&M.

Annie Wu

Northeastern

Hey guys! I'm Annie Wu and I am currently attending Northeastern University in Boston, MA as a freshman. I'm currently majoring in Business Administration with a concentration in Marketing.
Morgan Weadock

Northeastern

Morgan is currently a third year at Northeastern University in Boston working towards a degree in Finance and a dual minor in Economics and Political Science. She is the co-president and Campus Correspondent for the Northeastern Her Campus Chapter and also involved with Alpha Kappa Psi and Streak Media. Morgan is originally from NJ and despite popular sentiment believes it to be the best state in the country. Her interests include cooking things that don't look as pretty as they did on Pinterest, reading while drinking tea, going to the beach, fitness and nutrition, and Netflix binging (: