This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

Hosting or attending a Friendsgiving dinner? Don’t know what to make? Here are some recipes and alternatives for Thanksgiving staples.

The Bird

Traditionally, the host assumes the daunting responsibility of cooking the turkey. If you’re too intimidated to prepare and roast a turkey in your apartment, don’t worry. There are plenty of delicious alternatives!

If you want to stick with turkey, cutlets are an easy way to go. You can buy turkey breast cutlets packaged, as you would chicken breast, and either bake or pan sear them. A quick Google search offers a variety of recipes. You can find a basic cutlets and gravy recipe here.

If you’re willing to break from tradition, baked chicken is another simple yet tasty alternative. Or you can save yourself some time and just pick up a rotisserie chicken at the grocery store.

Stuffing

No matter what the main dish is, no Friendsgiving is complete without stuffing. Even better, it’s so easy to make! Just grab a bag of seasoned stuffing or bread cubes, some broth, and whatever vegetables you fancy. Find a quick and easy stovetop recipe here. You can also find plenty of recipes for baking in a casserole dish.

Potatoes

Roasted, baked, mashed… so many options! You can’t go wrong with what you decide to make. Mashed potatoes are a simple yet delicious classic. Go basic, or upgrade with sour cream or garlic. Roasted potatoes are so simple to make, and you can cook them alongside whatever vegetables you desire (red peppers, zucchini, squash, eggplant, mushrooms, etc.).

If you’re looking for a sweeter side dish, use sweet potatoes. Try this mashed recipe, which uses Greek yogurt and maple syrup, or go for the always-popular sweet potato fries.

Cranberry Sauce

While there’s nothing wrong with a good ol’ can of cranberry sauce, there are plenty of homemade recipes, if you’re feeling ambitious. Here’s a recipe that works with fresh or frozen cranberries.

Salad

While a garden or Caesar salads is sure to be appreciated, don’t be afraid to try something new. Add a refreshing touch to a basic salad by tossing in orange slices and cranberries. If you’re looking for something festive, try this spinach salad with butternut squash. You can also find tons of quinoa salad recipes, such as this one.

Rolls & Biscuits

Who isn’t a fan of freshly baked biscuits or crescent rolls? You’ll probably want to contribute more to your Friendsgiving than just bread, but Pillsbury biscuits and crescent rolls are so quick to make that you can easily bring them along with your other side dish. If you’re looking for a recipe with a little more substance, try these cheddar biscuits, made from scratch. Or, use crescent roll dough as the basis for a delectable baked Brie.

Of course, it doesn’t really matter what food you bring, so long as you bring your wacky self.

Happy Friendsgiving!

Jillian Ferrari

Northeastern

Morgan Weadock

Northeastern

Morgan is currently a third year at Northeastern University in Boston working towards a degree in Finance and a dual minor in Economics and Political Science. She is the co-president and Campus Correspondent for the Northeastern Her Campus Chapter and also involved with Alpha Kappa Psi and Streak Media. Morgan is originally from NJ and despite popular sentiment believes it to be the best state in the country. Her interests include cooking things that don't look as pretty as they did on Pinterest, reading while drinking tea, going to the beach, fitness and nutrition, and Netflix binging (: