Dressing Cute during the Polar Vortex

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

The biggest dilemna on an icy February day is whether or not you should bother with clothes or dive back into your sweats and indulge in another marathon of TV shows and hot chocolate. For some of us, the prospect of the dreaded V-day encroaching on the wintry gray horizon, makes us want to look nice despite not having a special someone to spend Valentine’s day. But how does one look attractive on a cold dreary day without the risk of catching a cold or dying from frostbites?

Tight little dresses and tights may work in the fall when the weather was still nice and you haven’t gained those pounds from the daily hot chocolate routine yet. Winter, however, is all about pairing comfort with style. Basically clothes that don’t make you hate yourself for stepping foot outside, while also turning heads as you waltz into your 8am fashionably late. Even the effortlessly cute look requires some behind-the-scenes effort.

Sweaters are the wardrobe staple for any girl living through the unpredictable New England weather. While some may view this basic necessity as boring, there are countless ways to pick and wear this warm and convenient invention. Loose-fit, off-the-shoulders sweaters can be paired with skinny jeans, jeggings or—for the daring soul—leather pants. The boxy silhouette of loose sweaters can make you look petite, relaxed and cool while the skinny pants provides a nice structured contrast. Try a backless one or one with a cut-out for the added cheeky effect of a little skin during the winter.

2014 is a year of cropped tops. You don’t just see them at outdoor concerts on sunny days. During winter, the cropped sweater is a popular alternative for die-hard fans of this trend. Although this item may sound hard to wear, pair it with anything from highwaisted pants to skirts or shorts with tights on underneath and you’ll find yourself with a very versatile piece for your wardrobe.

The beanie obsession has hit the crowd, starting from the top echelon of fashion. Cara Delevigne, Adrianne Ho and other supermodels are casually sporting them everywhere. Not only effective for masking bad hair day, the beanie can also be a bold fashion statement when paired with just the right amount of “laidback” accessories. Don’t have time to tame your bedhead? Throw one over your tousled waves and you can call it a day.

Moderation is the key. Leather might be considered tacky by some but hints of leather carefully interspersed into an outfit like a pair of high-waisted leggings with leather panels or a cool bomber jacket can add the missing ingredient to an otherwise plain outfit.

Finally, I guess we could permit some pastel on the list just because Valentine is approaching. American Apparel is currently debutting their brand new winter collection under that very theme. Although winter apparel is typically in dark colors, it would be fun to mix in a few pieces of baby pink or mint green just to throw people off. Stand out in the sea of dark coats and flurry of snow in a boyfriend-style pastel sweater or baby blue pea coat. You don’t need to be in a relationship to channel that bubbly winter wonderland vibe. Even if you don’t feel especially adored this February, you can fake it till you make it.

Pim Senanarong

Northeastern

Melanie Dostis

Northeastern

Melanie Dostis is a journalism major at Northeastern University. She has been involved with Her Campus since her sophomore year, being elected co-correspondent her junior year- a position she is thrilled to continue in her last year. She lives a writing-filled life and wouldn't have it any other way. She is currently interning at Boston Magazine and is a correspondent for the Boston Globe and USA Today. She can usually be found back in her home-roots of wonderful New York on weekends, exploring her second home in Boston, or often back in her family roots of Ecuador, gorging on massive amounts of Hispanic dishes....Follow her on Twitter @MelDostis. HCXO!