kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

It’s Mental Illness Awareness Week! It’s also the middle of the semester and the beginning of the Spring Co-op application process so let’s chat about de-stressers you can do right in your dorm room!

First, figure out what type of self care you need in the moment. Is it Rest and Relaxation? Is it Expression? Companionship? Health/Spirituality? Pick one to do for 30 minutes to an hour. Here are some ideas to get you started:

A) Rest and Relaxation:

-Listen to music

-Take a time out–lie on your bed or sit in a comfy chair for 5 minutes

-Take a bath or shower

-Take a nap

-Watch one episode of your favourite TV show on Netflix

-Read a book/magazine

-Use some lavender essential oil on your temples

Gif courtesy of Kobie and Giphy

B) Expression:

-Free write (or prompted writing. Check out some ideas here or here)

-Draw or paint

-Water your plants

-Sing or dance

-Practice any other hobby you have

Gif courtesy of Giphy

C) Companionship:

-Call a friend

-Call your family

-Write a letter

-Meet some friends for coffee

Gif courtesy of Giphy

D) Health/Spirituality:

-Make a healthy snack–look for things with protein

-Practice yoga. Don’t know how? Keep reading!

-Go for a walk/run

-Meditate/pray. Check out Calm.com; you can change the background and it will play sounds that sync to that background, or you can do a guided meditation!

-Try ASMR. Autonomous sensory meridian response (ASMR) can cause low-grade euphoria and triggers the part of your brain that helps you relax. It is caused by visuals or sounds–check WhispersRed on YouTube.

Gif courtesy of Giphy

Finally, here is some easy yoga you can do in your dorm:

Photo Courtesy of Down Dog Diary

I am a student, artist, and photographer at Northeastern University. Aspiring beekeeper, honey consumer and succulent lover, I have over 40 plants (and counting) in my room currently--not that there's enough space for them.
Xandie Kuenning is the Career Editor at Her Campus and a graduate of Northeastern University with a Bachelor's in International Affairs and minors in Journalism and Psychology. She is an avid traveler with a goal to join the Travelers' Century Club. When not gallivanting around the world, she can be found reading about fairytales or Eurasian politics, baking up a storm, or watching dangerous amounts of Netflix. Follow her on Instagram @AKing1917 and on Twitter @XKuenning.