A Dedication to “In Living Color”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

A remix of “Finesse,” originally a Bruno Mars single, has recently been released and is featuring female rap artist Cardi B. The 90’s funk influenced song initially was a hit, but the remix has received even more recognition. The most interesting factor to this new release is the music video dedicated to the 90’s show, In Living Color. The video paid homage to the comedy series with the use of elaborate and colorful wardrobe and a funky replicated set.

In Living Color aired on Fox from 1990 to 1994 and featured skits with minority artists ranging from rappers, dancers, and comedians. The series was a platform for ethnic minority artists who were not given the same opportunities to showcase their talent as mainstream artists at the time. Well known artists rose to fame through In Living Color, such as Jennifer Lopez, Carrie Ann Inaba, Jamie Foxx, and Damon Wayans. Some of these celebrities have applauded Bruno Mars for his dedication filled with nostalgia.

Bruno Mars’ take on old-school funky R&B music has stolen the hearts of many, who now await the release of any new material. This new addition to Bruno’s repertoire of creativity in music only brings more attention to his Grammy nomination for 24K Magic as Album of the Year.

Courtesy of Public Broadcasting

Ariana Matos

Northeastern '21

I am a Northeastern commmunication studies student with a minor in fashion global studies. As a writer correspondent the concentration of my writing are personal reflections on life experiences, fashion, media and culture, food and lifestyle. In addition to being a writer I am a leader for Her Campus NU's Snapchat account.