Boston Commuter’s Survival Guide

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

Winter has arrived (not that you haven’t noticed) and going outside is now an epic struggle against wind, snow, ice, slush, mush, and whatever else Mother Nature feels like throwing our way. Here are some essentials you need to get through your winter commute.

1. Snow boots, flats, & a drawstring bag This combo is essential for slushy, post-snowstorm streets. Unless you work in a super casual office, wearing dirty, salt-stained boots all day probably isn’t appropriate. Wear your durable snow boots on your way into the office and pack a pair of flats that you can switch into once you arrive. Flats are the easiest shoes to carry around, and packing them in a drawstring bag is perfect, whether you carry that bag or stuff it into your work tote. Plus, you can then stick your boots into the bag so they won’t be an eyesore at the office. If you’re prone to forgetting things, just choose a pair of shoes to leave at work (so long as you have an acceptable place to keep them).

2. Gloves, hat, & scarf

While these items are obvious winter essentials, so many people wander around the city without them. It’s not always necessary to be wearing these—sometimes the sun shines so brightly that you actually think it’s warm out, or the T is so crowded that you’re sweating through your coat. Still, you should always have winter gear on hand, even if you don’t plan on being outdoors for long. You’ll be glad you have them if your bus ever breaks down or your train is delayed, forcing you to wait outside for an extended period of time.

3. Embark BOS app This free app is a must-have if you ride the Commuter Rail or T (and a godsend if you’re compulsive about planning). It’s like Google Maps, but for the MBTA. The home screen—an interactive map of all T and Commuter Rail lines—is a blessing when you need an overview of the lines but don’t want to be staring at that huge map on the station wall. You can use it to get directions by tapping on stations, or you can just type in departure and arrival locations, as with most map apps. You then choose when you want to depart or arrive, and Embark will list the applicable train schedule and directions in a super clear format. Best yet, the app keeps track of MTBA service alerts, for which you can set up as push notifications. Never again will you arrive freezing at the platform only to find out your train is delayed 20 minutes!

4. The right ticket

CharlieTickets, CharlieCards, monthly passes, zones…The MBTA ticketing system is quite confusing, and you may have trouble figuring out which pass is right for you. Detangling the MBTA could be an article on its own, so I’ll just touch on one thing: Remember that you get unlimited T access with a monthly Commuter Rail pass! Too many people don’t know this and waste their money on T fare. Just insert your Commuter Rail pass into the turnstile as you would a CharlieTicket. While it’s convenient to buy a Commuter Rail pass through the MBTA’s app (you just input your departure/destination and don’t have to deal with zones), you won’t get unlimited T access with this purchase. A monthly paper ticket costs the same as a monthly electronic one. So, if you plan on taking the T even once a week, go with paper.

5. Portable Phone Charger Gone are the days of worrying that your phone will die because you’re not near an outlet. These gadgets are perfect for when you have plans right after work and won’t be able to charge your phone via traditional means. They seem to have taken off this past fall and are now found practically anywhere. While some higher end models can cost over $50, you can find smaller ones for as little as $10. The smaller the model, generally the less juice, but these smaller packs are easier to keep tucked in your purse.

Jillian Ferrari

Northeastern

Morgan Weadock

Northeastern

Morgan is currently a third year at Northeastern University in Boston working towards a degree in Finance and a dual minor in Economics and Political Science. She is the co-president and Campus Correspondent for the Northeastern Her Campus Chapter and also involved with Alpha Kappa Psi and Streak Media. Morgan is originally from NJ and despite popular sentiment believes it to be the best state in the country. Her interests include cooking things that don't look as pretty as they did on Pinterest, reading while drinking tea, going to the beach, fitness and nutrition, and Netflix binging (: