Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

Northeastern Blog

All About That Body Image

By Lindsay Marum
October 30, 2014 - 1:00pm

The music industry doesn’t have the best track record for it’s depiction of women; we’re constantly referred to as “shorties” or “sexy bitches” by rappers, and depicted as skinny, well-endowed strippers in music videos. Now women singers have been using music to spread messages of female empowerment, particularly with body image. “All About That Bass” and “Anaconda” are two popular examples of strong women embracing their bodies and daring anyone to criticize their sizes. Unfortunately, their anger is directed at the wrong people. READ MORE

Fad Diets: The Paleo Diet

By Anna Wendt
October 29, 2014 - 12:31am

What is the Paleo diet? This is a diet that is essentially the healthiest way to eat as it is optimized to fit what humans have adapted to eat. It is described as the hunter-gatherer diet that involves only eating foods that could’ve been consumed by humans before processed food came about, or what early humans would’ve eaten. Why should you go Paleo? There are many health benefits that come from giving up processed food. Reduce your risk of heart disease, type 2 diabetes, and most chronic degenerative diseases that affect people in the western world READ MORE

Punny Halloween Costumes

By Morgan Weadock
October 28, 2014 - 1:20am

Everyone has their personal preferences for Halloween costumes. Some like to dress sexy, some go for the gory look, and some just want to make people laugh. Here are five ideas for people who want to spread around a little humor this weekend! Chick Magnet  via spirithalloween "Spice" Girls READ MORE

The Best and Worst of Boston in the Fall

By Gwen Schanker
October 27, 2014 - 2:07pm

Now that we’ve hit the midterm-rich, increasingly-cold October/November phase, it’s time to face up to the fact that it’s fall. The days of going out in sandals and a t-shirt are over, at least for another six months (ouch, it hurts to even write that). Luckily, if you have the right clothes and a substantial amount of autumn-related snacks, fall can still be one of the greatest seasons of the year. Here’s a breakdown of some of the best and worst parts of Boston in the fall. The Best: READ MORE

Run Forrest, Run

By Anna Wendt
October 22, 2014 - 1:00am

One of the best exercises that you can do is run and luckily for you, Boston is an exciting place to explore through running. The Charles River, depending on where you live is a mile away from campus and is filled with beautiful views of the city and waterfront. There are trees to climb and pictures to take! READ MORE

The Perfect Care Package

By Melissa Healy
October 21, 2014 - 1:00am

Everyone loves getting mail (except when it contains bills), especially care packages from family and friends back home.   READ MORE

HC Back to School Survival Kits!

By Morgan Weadock
October 20, 2014 - 1:00am

This year, Nationals and our amazing co - sponsors sent us goodies to help us fall back into the routine of managing classes, gym sessions, and time with our friends! Here are some of the things girls on Northeastern's campus are loving right now: To start your morning or for a quick snack between classes, Luna gave us a bunch of mini bars in two flavors: Chocolate Dipped Coconut and Chocolate Peppermint Stick. Both are delicious but Chocolate Peppermint Stick is my personal favorite!  READ MORE

Room to Read Hosts “Box Out the Barriers” Event

By Gwen Schanker
October 17, 2014 - 12:23pm

“Education for girls matters because…” How would you fill in the blank, collegiettes? Last weekend activist groups around the country celebrated International Day of the Girl Child, which took place on October 11. The day was established by the United Nations in 2012 to celebrate girl power around the world and to give activist groups a chance to raise awareness for gender equality. International Day of the Girl was recognized worldwide, and President Obama published a proclamation in honor of the day. READ MORE

Fad Diets: The Master Cleanse

By Anna Wendt
October 16, 2014 - 1:00am

There are many different diets and cleansing options that are swirling around the Internet. One of the most popular ones is called the Master Cleanse, or the lemonade diet. This involves giving up food for x amount of days and drinking homemade lemonade that includes lemon juice, cayenne pepper and maple syrup. There are also other things that can be done in conjunction with consuming this drink that I didn’t partake in. This week my roommate, Katie, and I decided that we were going to give this cleanse a try. She had done it once before over the summer and had been successful. We decided that during the week would be best and that we would attempt for 4 days: Tuesday through Friday. READ MORE...

Dorm Recipes for Fall

By Northeastern Contributor
October 15, 2014 - 1:00am

While things are cooling down outside, heat up your dorm and your stomach with these fun and easy recipes! Fall in love with this classic taste of fall; a pumpkin spice latte mug cake! Super simple to whip up in your dorm in no time, and perfect to combat the depressing weather outside. PUMPKIN SPICE LATTE MUG CAKE INGREDIENTS: 4 tbsp (30g) all-purpose flour 1/4 tsp baking powder 2 tbsp (25g) granulated sugar READ MORE