Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

Northeastern Archives

Top 16 Places in Boston

By Lindsay Marum
September 23, 2014 - 12:00pm

Welcome to the beautiful city of Boston! Whether you’ve moved here from halfway across the world or from only a few T stops away (in my case), you picked the perfect place to spend the next four or five years. From free concerts, to fabulous shopping, to the unbeatable clam chowder, Boston has anything and everything a college student could want. Here’s just a few of the many places you’ll want to check out in the first few weeks of school - before the cold sets in: Prudential Center   READ MORE

Back to School, Back to the Gym

By Anna Wendt
September 23, 2014 - 12:00pm

If your summer was anything like mine, you probably didn’t hit the gym very often, and instead spent time hanging with your friends or working like crazy. Now that we are back at school, it isn’t any easier. Especially when mom isn’t here to make dinner anymore. You are either eating in the dining halls, or, like me, cooking for yourself in your apartment kitchen. Before you know it, all the Easy Mac and Stetson East cookies has started to affect your weight. Don’t worry! There is a solution. READ MORE

6 Tips for Transfer Students By Melissa Healy

By Melissa Healy
September 22, 2014 - 6:00pm

With so many new freshmen on campus as well as returning students, it can be difficult for transfers to acclimate to their new environment. You’re the new kid at Northeastern but you’re not new to college. You did the hard work of filling out the Common App not once but twice, and have finally arrived where you belong. But the adventure has just begun! As someone who has transferred twice (long story, moving on), allow me to give you a few tips that I have found to be helpful:   1. Go to the freshman events: READ MORE

How to Engage in Small Talk - A Guide for Awkward People

By Natalie S.
September 22, 2014 - 6:00pm

Most of us have wanted to exchange more words with a human than, “Hey, how are you?” “Good, you?” “‘M Good!” Honestly, small talk is one of the most painful acts of horrific mortification we awkward people must perform every single day of our lives. Unless you’re completely self-sufficient and you live alone-- in which case, props to you--you’re forced to do it. But most of us dread the seemingly innocuous form of basic interaction--the insidious “small talk.” However, this quick guide will take you from changing your path because you don’t want to run into that chick you awkwardly talked to a few times in your bio class last year to walking perfectly fine through your path and welcoming the inevitable small talk that will ensue as you’re near her....

Campus Celeb: Jeff Bauman

By Emily Feltault
September 19, 2014 - 5:21pm

Being so immersed within the great city of Boston, and so close to the finish line of last year’s Marathon, Northeastern students have been deeply impacted by its aftermath. Because of our close involvement, the Council for University Programs (CUP) decided to bring in Jeff Bauman, one of those severely injured from the first bomb, to talk to students about his life and how it has been impacted since April 16th. Below, CUP’s Lectures chair, Casey Price, talks about the universoty event and how Bauman touched those in the audience. What inspired you to bring in Bauman? READ MORE

Back to Boston

By Emily Feltault
September 18, 2014 - 11:12am

As the fall days turn to winter, Northeastern students can start to prepare themselves for a season at Matthew's Arena watching hockey, a favorite activity for us Huskies!! READ MORE

Off the Meal Plan?

By Madelaine
September 18, 2014 - 10:00am

Eating at the dining halls is a right of passage during everyone’s freshman year of college. Unfortunately, so is the emergency trip to the bathroom afterwards. If you’re one of the lucky few to have gotten upperclassmen housing, then odds are you have a kitchen in your apartment, and you decided to ditch the meal plan. But cooking is a lot harder than you anticipated. You thought cooking was all following recipes, but remembering to go grocery shopping is turning out to be harder than expected (although still less expensive than Stetson per meal). Ordering out is great and super easy, but gaining weight as a result is just as simple. READ MORE

Fifteen Reasons to Be Happy That Gilmore Girls Is Coming to Netflix

By Morgan Weadock
September 18, 2014 - 10:00am

Apparently, this month Netflix said “Oy with the poodles already!” to its users and decided to FINALLY stream all seven seasons of Gilmore Girls starting October 1. Now you can enjoy the popular 2000’s drama and all of Lorelai Gilmore’s fabulous life lessons whenever you want, but preferably while drinking coffee and wishing you were at Luke’s Diner. Here are some reasons why we should all be excited to get to revisit Stars Hollow: 1) Whether you grew up in the suburbs or an exciting city, there was always a little part of you that felt empty for not getting to grow up in Stars Hollow READ MORE

Campus Cutie: Julia Volchok

By Melissa Healy
September 18, 2014 - 10:00am

Name: Julia Volchok Age: 21 Hometown: Boxford, MA Major: Psychology with a concentration in Applied Behavior Analysis READ MORE

Northeastern Girls Volleyball v. BC

By Morgan Weadock