All My Single Ladies: Ideas For How To Spend Valentine’s Day With Your Girlfriends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

Stuck wondering what to do with your single self this Valentine’s Day? Worry no more. We’ve got some fabulous ideas for a V-Day you’ll never want to forget.

Festive Cocktail Party

Strike the perfect balance between staying in and going out. Pass out handmade invites, old-school paper and ribbons style. The party length is up to your discretion, but aim for a starting time of 7 or 8pm. That way, guests will know to eat a light dinner beforehand, allowing you to focus on the perfect drink menu. Include a mix of mocktails and mixed drinks, which will satisfy everyone on your guest list. If you’re feeling up to it, buy some frozen appetizers from the grocery store and pop them in the oven about half an hour before your friends arrive. They will be greeted by the enticing smells emanating from your kitchen. As far as a dress code goes, the choice is yours. You can encourage guests to come in cocktail dresses, or keep it simple. The great thing about hosting is that it leaves you with a lot of room for creativity. Ultimately, you set the mood, which can be as sophisticated or as casual as you want. You can even deck out your apartment with candles and comfy seating, getting your guests excited for a fantastic, memorable evening.

Low-Key Movie Night

Conjure up the classics and get ready for a relaxing night in. If you feel like doing something low-key, this is your best bet. A movie marathon makes for a warm gathering of food, friends, and fun. As you can imagine, movie tastes can vary greatly among friends. To ensure that every girl enjoys herself, you have a couple options. One is to let each friend bring her favorite V-day pick. You’ll get a nice mix of black-and-white dramas, famous tearjerkers, and modern-day romantic comedies. Another idea is to select your top five movies ahead of time. Have them laid out when your friends arrive. Then let each girl vote… majority rules! Whatever you decide, make sure you’re not lacking in the snack department. Guests will want to munch on savory treats during the movies. Stock up on popcorn, chips, fruit, and of course: lots of chocolate. Ask your friends to bring something to contribute, too!

Glammed-Up Dinner

No date? No problem. Don’t let being single keep you from having a flirty, romantic evening. Grab all your girls and get ready for a night to remember. Have everyone meet up an hour or so before you plan to head out. Pay a tribute to high school dance days and get ready together before you leave. Apply make-up, try on dresses, and snap a ton of photos. Prepping together is an exciting way to bond and will leave each girl feeling amazing. After everyone is all decked out, head off to a fancy restaurant that none of you have been to before. Trying something new is a great way to evoke a sense of spontaneity. You’ll definitely want to make reservations ahead of time. It is Valentine’s Day, after all. To extend the night, go out for dessert after dinner. A local ice cream parlor or cupcake bar provides the perfect ending to a sweet night out with friends.

Just Say Spaaaahhh

Pamper yourself this Valentine’s Day! Showing a little love is what this holiday’s all about. So grab some of your friends and set out for a spa day. Pre-spa, go out for lunch at a low-key restaurant or diner. This will give you a chance to catch up before a relaxing day. Want to stay thrifty while getting the royal treatment? Check out local salons for reasonable prices that won’t break the bank. A lot of places offer manis for under twenty dollars, many of which include an invigorating hand massage along with your treatment. Make appointments in advance to ensure that your friends can secure similar time slots. After everyone is left sporting a fabulous set of nails, head to the mall and do some shopping. Browse through the cute boutiques on Newbury or stay warm in the Pru and Copley Place. Wherever you go, be sure to take a break for a little post-shopping revival. Stop for smoothies or fro-yo. Want something warmer? Hit up Starbucks’ for a delicious caramel apple spice or warm hot chocolate.

*Added Bonus: V-Day falls on a Monday this year. Some note that on weekdays, there are usually better deals for manicures/pedicures than the weekend!

Flirty Singles Mixer

Don’t want to shut out the guys on V-Day? Then this is your perfect plan. A single’s party with familiar faces takes the pressure off your back. Invite your closest pals and encourage them to bring some of their single friends. Before you realize it, you’ll have a room full of people ready to party. Run to the store and buy some chips, dip and other appetizers. That way, people can snack while they socialize. Hosting an afternoon gathering is preferred, since late night timing adds a certain degree of seriousness. The mood should be flirty and fun, not dramatic and heavy. Looking for another way to get things going? Have everyone bring their favorite game to the party. Funny picks like catchphrase and jenga will break the ice and make it easier for people to initiate convos. Soon, everyone will be laughing and having a great time. What started as a roomful of “singles” just might turn into something more.

Photos courtesy of: Dani Wong, Glass Studio, and MediaBistro.

Dani Wong is a sophomore at the University of San Francisco, where she is double majoring in media studies and journalism. After her short story was published in a recent book, she decided to explore a new facet of writing and became involved with student newspapers and magazines. Between interning, taking classes, and exploring San Francisco, Dani is embracing the new opportunities that city life brings. Her true loves include traveling, taking photographs, playing sports and anything food related!
Rachel Kossman

Northeastern

Rachel Kossman is a Northeastern University graduate, and former Her Campus Campus Correspondent. She spent her junior and senior years writing for Her Campus National, and is thrilled to be back contributing to the Post Graduate section.Rachel is currently working as Associate Editor for DAYSPA magazine, an industry publication for spa owners, where she gets to write about spa products, business tips, spa industry news, focus on green lifestyle content, and even review a spa or two every once in a while! She is currently living back in Los Angeles, where she was born and raised, and though she misses Boston and all her friends out east, is very happy to be away from the cold and snow!