7 Types of Relatives You’ll Encounter at Holiday Dinners

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.
  1. The Nostalgic Grandpa

Do you remember the turkey dinner of ’62? Of course you don’t. Good thing Grandpa is here to tell you all about it in excruciating detail, and to explain why everything was better 50 years ago.

2. The Drunken Uncle

He’ll defend the GOP until the cows come home – or at least until he passes out on your couch. If you really want to be entertained, make sure you incorporate some sort of singing/dancing activity into your plans for the night.

3. The Critical Grandma

Can usually be found scrutinizing your figure or asking why you aren’t wearing the sweater she bought you last Christmas. You know Gram means well, but how do you explain that you haven’t brought a guy home yet because your FWB doesn’t want to DTR? Complicated stuff.

4. The football fanatic

Makes periodic appearances at the dinner table during commercial breaks. Later, while everyone else is lying around in a post-turkey comatose state, this person is bouncing around the living room, yelling at the TV. Arguments may ensue, especially if the fanatic comes into contact with the drunken uncle.

5. The Tagalong Cousin
   Are you helping yourself to seconds? Taking a nice autumn stroll? Going to the bathroom? So is your cousin. You may get annoyed with him/her, but try to remember that you, too, were someone’s unwanted sidekick at holiday dinners past.

6. The Family Gossip

Is your cousin’s third wife pregnant, or did she just put on weight? Either way, this person will get the whole table speculating. If the presence of older relatives doesn’t automatically deter you from airing your dirty laundry – which it should, by the way – then the threat of being the latest family scandal will.

7. The Person on a Diet
   Probably sitting quietly in a corner, throwing furtive glances at those oven-fresh rolls. Do not, I repeat, DO NOT sit next to this person or start a conversation with him/her – unless you want your delicious pile of mashed potatoes reduced to a steaming heap of calories and shame.

Ashley P

Northeastern

Melanie Dostis

Northeastern

Melanie Dostis is a journalism major at Northeastern University. She has been involved with Her Campus since her sophomore year, being elected co-correspondent her junior year- a position she is thrilled to continue in her last year. She lives a writing-filled life and wouldn't have it any other way. She is currently interning at Boston Magazine and is a correspondent for the Boston Globe and USA Today. She can usually be found back in her home-roots of wonderful New York on weekends, exploring her second home in Boston, or often back in her family roots of Ecuador, gorging on massive amounts of Hispanic dishes....Follow her on Twitter @MelDostis. HCXO!