5 Tips On Staying Close With Your Best Friends At Other Colleges

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

Everyone knows that the hardest thing about leaving your hometown is saying goodbye to your dearest pets. But the second hardest thing is definitely saying goodbye to your closest friends. They’re the people from your classes, lunch blocks, and prom pictures, and suddenly they’re hours away. But fear not! There are things you can do that will make it feel like they are still right by your side eating nutella with you like the good old days.

1. Call them on the way to class!

College is busy. Sometimes it can be hard to find time to schedule a full blown Skype session. However, one thing you do basically every day is walk to class, so why not utilize this time? This can be a great way to quickly check in and see if there are any major events that you will need to follow up on later. Better yet, it’ll put you in a great mood for that afternoon math class…OK, maybe that was a little too far.

2. Use the highlight reel method.

When you finally do find time for a quality phone call or videochat session, try to avoid going through your whole weekly routine. Even though it’s your best friend who cares about you more than anyone, he or she still doesn’t need to know what time you got up or brushed your teeth. Instead, try to think about two or three crazy or unusual things that happened since you last spoke, and ask him or her to do the same. This way, your friend will be able to appreciate the story and you both will feel in the loop.

3. Write letters.

I know, I know. It’s probably one of the least efficient forms of communication that still exist. But since we live in a digital world, letters have also become that much more meaningful. You don’t have to write them every week or month, in fact, one could argue that it lessens the meaning if you do. But if you take the time to write out a letter and maybe even draw them a little picture, it’ll definitely make their day and remind them of how much you care. And if they’re really amazing, they might even write you back.

4. Stalk each other on social media.

You probably already do this anyway, but there are ways that you can use friend stalking to your advantage. Social media posts make great talking points for conversations. It’s kind of like how if you read the textbook in advance for class, you are more likely to have something to contribute. If you mildly stalk your friends before you chat with them, you will have talking points to start off the conversation. For example, “I saw you went to that concert! How was it?” or “Who is that hilarious guy in your snapchat story?” Your friends will get excited because they know that you are paying attention to their lives.

5. Plan things for breaks when you are both coming home.

One of the best ways to deal with friend sickness is by planning things that you can do together when you go home for the upcoming break. It doesn’t have to be anything elaborate, but planning a lunch date at your favorite hometown restaurant can go a long way. It’s a shame that you can’t see your friend until then, but hopefully these simple tricks can help. In the meantime, have fun and stock up on ridiculous stories to tell your friends.

Morgan Weadock

Northeastern

Morgan is currently a third year at Northeastern University in Boston working towards a degree in Finance and a dual minor in Economics and Political Science. She is the co-president and Campus Correspondent for the Northeastern Her Campus Chapter and also involved with Alpha Kappa Psi and Streak Media. Morgan is originally from NJ and despite popular sentiment believes it to be the best state in the country. Her interests include cooking things that don't look as pretty as they did on Pinterest, reading while drinking tea, going to the beach, fitness and nutrition, and Netflix binging (: