5 Interesting Classes You Can Take at NEU

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

If there’s one thing we know for sure, it’s that in college you’re supposed to take interesting and (sometimes) easy electives. If we had to take only major related classes every semester, we might’ve gone crazy already! Luckily, Northeastern offers a ton of different options. Each appeals to every individual’s tastes and preferences. Remember, if you need help or have questions about any of these classes, you can always talk to your advisor or visit myneu.edu for more information!

Here are just a few really interesting and different classes being offered in the Spring semester:

1. Introduction to Japanese Culture

Pretty self explanatory, this class focuses on introducing you to Japanese culture through music, film, art, comics and animation. For those of you who have a love for anything japanese, this class is for you!

2. Dante’s Inferno and Medieval Italian Culture

This class introduces and analyzes the quintessential first book of Dante’s book Inferno and it’s subsequent seven stages of hell. This class will also dive into questions such as whether or not the book would be relevant in modern times and relate the content to our everyday modern lives. It sounds really deep and thought provoking– just what you came to college for!!

3. Apocalypticism in Film

This class examines the diverse and changing presentation of apocalypticism in film and includes titles such as The Day the Earth Stood Still, Independence Day, The Seventh Seal, Smoke Signals, Blade Runner, and The Matrix. It is famous on campus for being one of the most wanted electives, and we can finally understand why! This class is perfect for all movie lovers out there.

4. The Problem of Evil in Film

This class is another one for movie lovers out there. It seeks to answer the question: What is Evil? This class will use a variety of mediums but will focus mostly on films by analyzing traits such as sin, guilt, fear, greed, and others. Past classes have studied movies such as The Dark Knight, The Exorcist, Silence of the Lambs, Frankenstein, Life Is Beautiful, Rear Window, Dr. Strangelove, Phone Booth, Crash, Star Wars, and The Wizard of Oz.

5. Astronomy

This class is taught at night only (for obvious reasons) and is an introduction to the cosmos, the Earth, the relative universe, the Solar System, and other objects such as asteroids and comets. Who wouldn’t want to take this class?

Maria I Lisac

Northeastern

business student from Panama City, Panama. food & dog lover travel enthusiast