12 Things That Taken Girls are Sick of Hearing

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

With Valentine’s Day coming up, I have seen a few more articles than usual about what “The Single Girls Really Want/Don’t Want to Hear/Deserve” being shared on Facebook and Twitter. While I respect all of these single girls, it’s also important to recognize that there are many things that taken girls are tired of being told as well. Before any controversy starts, these following grievances are all ones that I have personally heard since being at college. Disclaimer: If this offends you, I’m not really that sorry.

1. “I think it’s GREAT that you have someone, but I think I am just too busy focusing on my [insert: career, grades, independence] to be in a relationship right now.”Well, I guess the only thing defining me is my relationship status, and not the goals and accomplishments that I am ALSO focusing on. P.S. thanks for the backhanded compliment.
  2. “Don’t you think you are too young to make such a big commitment?”Well I already picked a college at which to spend five years, my major which dictates my career, and where I’m living next year so… no.
  3. “Let’s go out to party! I just need all my single girls tonight!”Bye then?
  4. “Are you going to get married?”This is an awkward question. If asked in front of the significant other, then it’s a really, really awkward question.
  5. “Do you REALLY think you will be together forever?”Well, I’m no fortune teller. But is that REALLY a question you want to ask?
  6. “But you should enjoy your college years and have freedom!”I am enjoying my college years…
  7. “She HAS a boyfriend.” (To the guy who I just started speaking to at a party)I guess I’m not allowed to be social anymore.
  8. “How are you, like, only *with* one person?”I don’t sleep with other people. It’s fairly simple.
  9. “Aren’t you bored?” I’m bored of this conversation.
  10. For those who are long distance: “One of you should move closer or it’s not going to work.”Thanks for the vote of confidence.
  11. “I just don’t have time to commit to someone like you do.”
    Yeah, I’m just sitting around eating bon bons waiting for my significant other to come over. ALL THE TIME IN THE WORLD RIGHT HERE.
    12. “I know you are probably judging me for going home with that guy.”I’m someone’s girlfriend, not a nun.

Morgan Weadock

Northeastern

Morgan is currently a third year at Northeastern University in Boston working towards a degree in Finance and a dual minor in Economics and Political Science. She is the co-president and Campus Correspondent for the Northeastern Her Campus Chapter and also involved with Alpha Kappa Psi and Streak Media. Morgan is originally from NJ and despite popular sentiment believes it to be the best state in the country. Her interests include cooking things that don't look as pretty as they did on Pinterest, reading while drinking tea, going to the beach, fitness and nutrition, and Netflix binging (: