12 Songs To Get You Through The Mid-Semester Slump

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

Have midterms and rainy weather gotten you down? Do you just want to curl up into bed and sleep until May? I know how you feel. That’s why I created a playlist to help you pump yourself up and get happy! Beat the mid-semester blues!

Warning: I have a very wide spectrum of music that I like to listen to, from oldies to indie to mainstream pop, so don’t be alarmed.

1. Come On Eileen – Dexys Midnight Runners

Reason: I know this one is a little older, but it’s such a fun one to wake up to, walk to class to, or to dance around your room to.

2. 1901 – Phoenix

Reason: This french band makes the coolest music that will always make you bob your head and dance around.

3. Love Myself – Hailee Steinfeld

Reason: Who doesn’t need a little reminder to love yourself, especially during midterm season?

4. Girls Just Want To Have Fun – Cyndi Lauper

Reason: This is the best song to dance to! Take a break from studying, blast this ageless classic, and relieve some stress by shaking it to the crazy 80’s lady, Cyndi Lauper.

5. Ex’s & Oh’s – Elle King

Reason: Elle King’s bluesy voice is perfect to jam out to, and, hey, if you want to belt along, go ahead! You deserve it.

6. Classic – MKTO

Reason: Singing? Dancing? Strutting? You can do anything to this song and you’ll automatically feel better because it forces you to have fun.

7. You Make My Dreams – Daryl Hall & John Oates

Reason: If you’ve ever seen (500) Days of Summer, you know that this song actually makes you have the happiest day you can have, where everyone wears light blue, dances together, and cartoon birds land in your palm.

8. Ignition (Remix) – R. Kelly

Reason: No one can listen to this song without feeling like R. Kelly in the music video. This song will make you power through your paper because you’ll be antsy for the weekend.

9. Electric Love – BØRNS

Reason: Although this song is pretty laid back, it’s the perfect feel-good song that you can still work to without wanting to jump on your bed and dance.

10. I Really Like You – Carly Rae Jepson

Reason: This song will make you want to jump on your bed and dance. Why not?

11. I Wanna Dance With Somebody – Whitney Houston

Reason: This is the classic dance song. Who doesn’t need a little Whitney to cheer them up?

12.Crazy In Love – Beyoncé and Jay Z

Reason: Beyoncé. ‘Nuff said.

So, if you’re feeling under the weather or like you want to drop out of school all together, listen to this playlist and let yourself have fun. Don’t let the mid-semester slump get the best of you!

And, if you’re feeling so down that you can’t even put the effort in to make a playlist, just search “Mid-Semester Slump” on Spotify. I got you!

Hi! I am Emma Kell and I am a freshman at Northeastern University! I am excited to start writing and getting involved with HerCampus and to share my thoughts and ideas with others like me!
Emily Feltault

Northeastern

Hi my name is Emily Feltault and I am a rising sophomore at Northeastern University! I am one of the new Campus Correspondents for my chapter and am excited to get started!!