This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

College is a place for people to explore new concepts and learn new skills. One way to do this is to take a general elective. Following is a list of ten interesting electives from various disciplines. All courses will be offered Fall 2016 and are worth four credits unless otherwise stated.

1. PHIL 1260 Apocalypticism in Film

• Begins with an investigation of biblical texts that give rise to apocalypticism, definitions of apocalypticism, and an introductory exploration of the various ways in which apocalypticism has manifested itself in Western culture. Examines the diverse and changing presentation of apocalypticism in film and includes titles such as The Day the Earth Stood Still, Independence Day, The Seventh Seal, Smoke Signals, Blade Runner, and The Matrix.

• NU Core: Humanities Level 1, Comparative Study of Cultures

• Equivalent: RELS 1260

2. EEMB 1145 Beginning Scuba

• Focuses on basic skin diving and scuba diving skills, with emphasis on safety. Requires lab fee.

• Equivalent: BIOL 1105

3. HIST 5238 Managing Non-Profit Organizations (3SH)

• Examines the management of nonprofit organizations, which include historical agencies, museums, archives, historic houses, and various special historical collections. The literature on historical administration is lacking in sufficient conceptual rigor to generalize about the inner and outer workings of a complex management organization. Since historical agencies and museums are complex organizations with missions and goals, and with policies and procedures for involving various “publics” in their activities, explores them as part of the changing and evolving organizational structure of a modern society. Covers public management with all of its institutional components and human complexities. Studies planning in the public sector, budgeting, fundraising, conflict resolution, and the human relations literature as it relates to becoming a functional and successful manager.

• Prerequisite: Junior, Senior, or Graduate standing

4. POLS 2368 Music and Politics

• Explores the role of music in politics and the extent to which songs and their performers shape, frame, or otherwise influence political thought among audiences and listeners. Emphasizes contemporary themes and genres, with particular attention to protest songs. Examples are taken both from the United States and abroad.

• Prerequisite: Sophomore standing or above

5. PSYC 1210 Sports Psychology

• Studies the physical, affective, and cognitive behaviors associated with sport participation and also examines the psychological theories and research related to sport and exercise behavior. Introduces students to the field of sport and exercise psychology by providing a broad overview of the major topics in the area, including the history of sport and exercise psychology, leadership, self-confidence, youth sports, aggression, moral development, team dynamics, anxiety and arousal, goal setting, imagery, and motivation. Covers the psychological makeup of athletes, how psychological factors influence involvement and performance in sport, and helps students acquire the skills and knowledge about sport and exercise psychology that they can apply to their everyday lives.

• Equivalent: PSYC 2310

6. COMM 3450 Voice-Over Artist

• Introduces voice-over acting techniques for TV commercials, radio, multimedia, and various styles of presentation for both audio and video projects. Offers students an opportunity to uncover and develop their vocal range as narrator, announcer, character, and spokesperson with effectiveness and emotional authenticity. Covers both the “business” and the technical aspects of being a voice talent. Includes the use of microphones, headphones, and recording equipment while in our audio lab. Studies the essentials of vocal techniques, studio etiquette, and working with direction during a studio session.

• Prerequisite: Junior or Senior standing

7. DEAF 1500 Deaf People in Society

• Focuses on Deaf communities as linguistic and cultural minorities. Topics include perspectives on Deaf communities, attitudes toward Deaf people and sign languages, technology and communication, the contributions of Deaf people to society, professional and social organizations of and for Deaf people, Deaf clubs as a locus of Deaf culture, communication issues, perspectives on legislation affecting the Deaf community, legislative and political concerns of the Deaf community, and the impact of educational options for Deaf children.

8. PHYS 1111 Astronomy

• Introduces modern astronomical ideas designed for non-science majors. Topics include an introduction to the cosmos, Earth and its relation to the universe, our solar system (planets, moons, asteroids, and comets), the sun and how it works, stars and their classification, and the life and death of stars. Introduces various tools of the astronomer (the nature of light and radiation, telescopes, the types of spectra, and what they tell us).

• NU Core: Science/Technology Level 1

9. SLPA 1555 Communication Disorders in Movies

• Seeks to increase student understanding of communication disorders through film. By watching Oscar-awarded, Oscar-nominated, and other “Hollywood” movies, offers students an opportunity to develop a heightened sensitivity for how society views specific communication disorders. Through related lectures, discussion, structured activities, and assignments, studies the etiology and diagnosis of a variety of communication disorders and how individuals with these disorders may be helped.

• NU Core: Social Science Level 1

• Equivalent: SLPA 2555

10. THTR 1230 Evolution Fashion and Costume

• Traces the evolution of fashion and costume from Ancient Greece to the 21st century. Illustrated lectures focus on the history and meaning of clothing design and the development of style. Clothing has been used for centuries to protect, attract, and define one’s identity. Examines the shifting trends of fashion for men and women within its historical, cultural, and economic contexts.

• NU Core: Arts Level 1

Xandie Kuenning is the Career Editor at Her Campus and a graduate of Northeastern University with a Bachelor's in International Affairs and minors in Journalism and Psychology. She is an avid traveler with a goal to join the Travelers' Century Club. When not gallivanting around the world, she can be found reading about fairytales or Eurasian politics, baking up a storm, or watching dangerous amounts of Netflix. Follow her on Instagram @AKing1917 and on Twitter @XKuenning.
Emily Feltault

Northeastern

Hi my name is Emily Feltault and I am a rising sophomore at Northeastern University! I am one of the new Campus Correspondents for my chapter and am excited to get started!!