10 Reasons Why YOU Should Support the Women’s March on Washington

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

Disclaimer: This article is about the Women’s March on Washington, and it is NOT a protest but a peaceful march. It will be held on January 21st at the intersection of Independence Avenue and Third Street SW in Washington DC.

For those of you who are living under a rock, commonly referred to as Netflix & Chill (no judgement), it is time to rise from the deadly coma of 2016 with the upcoming March in Washington DC! Here are the top 10 reasons why you should add this date to your planner:

1. This march stands for equality, as it shows the world that ‘women’s rights are human rights’ and that we will stand together as one until everyone realizes it.

2. This march is the perfect opportunity to be in a space where everyone supports and respects one another. After all, we have all heard at least one offensive/hurtful comment directed toward us/our loved ones over the last election season, and this would be a great time to rise above all the HATE.

3. TBH: It will help erase the pain of 2016. Didn’t someone say that heartbreak can only be healed by spending time with your strong, inspiring girlfriends? (or was that just me?)

4. Because it’s been a while since women have come together to be HEARD (even though there is so much to say). All of you millennial women, don’t forget to be a part of this movement, so we can all take one big step in the right direction TOGETHER!

5. Bonus point: It is one of the largest women led grassroots movements to been seen in history. It helps us realize that if we want it, we go out and get it. 

6. It is a march surrounding women’s rights, but is open to EVERYONE. It’s important for you to know that it is okay to have something planned around women. It is not meant to exclude people, but to help women feel like equal members of societ,y and everyone is welcome to show his/her support for this movement.

7. The PUSSYHAT PROJECT: Women around the world are knitting pussyhats made with pink yarn and plan to wear them to the march to protest sexual assault and to promote equal rights. They have even caused a shortage of pink yarn in certain areas!

Nope, just kidding (but please do take a moment to appreciate my gif finding skills). In all seriousness, it looks more like this:

8. There is a diverse group of strong leaders who make up the national committee, honorary co-chairs, and youth ambassadors appointed for the March on the 21st. Best Part: Gloria Steinem is an honorary co-chair and will be at the march!

9. There are 281 sister marches happening around the world on the 21st. So if you can’t make the trip to DC because you are short on money or time or both, be sure to attend one closer to you.

10. Finally, you know that deep down you want to be there. Don’t second guess yourself. The uncertainty won’t matter in the long run. All you will feel is pride for making a positive change with 250,000 other women who believe that they deserve to be heard and to be treated as equals in society.

Hope to see you there!