This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

We are so lucky to be living in a country where we have clean water, food, and shelter. But not everyone has the same opportunity and resources as us. There are millions of people who suffer from hunger every day and kids who grow up with a lack of an education. It’s hard for us to sympathize when we are engulfed in our own battles and constantly surround by consumerism. But the holiday spirit is here and there’s no better time to give back to the world and the ones you love. Gifting can come in many forms: materialistic gifts, spreading joy, bringing/creating happiness, or showing someone else that you care and appreciate them.

1. Compliment Someone

It doesn’t take much to make someone’s day or to make them smile. Happiness comes in all forms and sizes.

2. Talk to Someone New

Is there a really shy person in your class or maybe the barista that you always see at Starbucks? Engage in conversation with them and maybe you might become the best friends. Sometimes all we need is a friend.

3. Donate to Charity

I know as students we may not have a lot of spare money but every cent counts. Dig up any change you have laying around, or skip that cup of coffee you have from Starbucks everyday. Instead of spending on ourselves, we should donate money to those in need. If you set aside just $20 each month to donate to charity, by the end of the year you would have donated $240. There are millions of different charities in existence. Maybe instead of asking for presents this year, you can ask friends and family to donate in your name to the charity of your choice. In return you will feel happy, and those in need will be helped.

4. Community Service/Get Involved

Do you feel passionate about a charity and what it stands for? If so, you can get involved and donate your spare time to volunteer for them. There are a lot of organizations and nonprofits who need volunteers to make magic happen. You can volunteer at your local food bank, park, and beach cleanups, as well as all sorts of events. Volunteering can be a one-time opportunity or a reoccurring thing. Find out how to get involved in your community!

5. Buying Someone’s Drink/Food

This one is self-explanatory. Everyone loves food! Imagine if food were free; that would be insane (in a good way of course)! When you are paying, you can ask the cashier to cover the cost of the food or drink of the person behind you. It would definitely brighten up someone’s day and they might be in the mood to do the same for someone else.

6. Surprising Someone

This can mean visiting someone you haven’t seen in a long time or reconnecting with an old friend. Or maybe just a little reminder to someone you love that you are thinking of them with a little something extra. Remember that one time when they told you that they like the Chestnut Praline drink at Starbucks? Next time, grab them one and it would make their day! It’s the little things that count!

7. Helping out the Homeless

Yes, there are a lot of homeless people that ask for money all the time. It can be annoying because you can’t help all of them and some of them just want to buy alcohol. But many of them actually just want shelter and food. Those really in need will be grateful if you bring them prepared food they can eat and maybe save for the future. You can also donate any old coats, blankets, and clothes to charities that will distribute it directly to those in need. Or you can bring it directly to someone who you see from your commute to work or school.

8. Home Cooked Meal

Cooking can be challenging, especially after a long day at work. You can surprise someone by cooking for them or inviting them over for dinner. This is ideal for college students when they go home to their parents because it will be greatly appreciated. And it can be a good date idea.

9. Forgive and Move-on

No one is perfect. We all have done some things we regret, or have had someone from our past betray us. Instead of seeking revenge, it’s best to forgive them and move on with or without them. Reach out to them and talk. If things don’t work out, you are still the bigger person here.

10.  Spread Love and Positivity

This sounds so original and simple, but it is needed in the world today. We need to spread this message through our words and actions. We should show support for those who are hurting and show them we are there for them.

Comment below with your act of kindness. Happy Holidays! 

Victoria Tan

Northeastern '19

Hello! My name is Victoria Tan and I recently graduated from Northeastern University with a Bachelor of Science degree in Business Administration. During my time there, I double majored in marketing and finance. You would most likely find me wandering through the halls of a musuem, or exploring different neighborhoods. P.S. I am always on the hunt for the best ice cream spots, so let me know if you need recommendations, or have any suggestions!