absolutvision Z20wtGu1OH4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
absolutvision Z20wtGu1OH4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Super Fun and Easy Homemade Dog Treats!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NMSU chapter.

If you’re a super extra dog mom like me, you care about what your dog eats. Of course I buy my pug, Decker, treats from the store but I still sometimes wonder how healthy they are for him. Clearly, you can flip around the bag and read the ingredients but I get worried about ingredients that I don’t have a clue on earth what they are. I like to stick to the basics for my personal diet and cut out anything unnecessary so I thought I would do the same for him. I jumped online one day searching for some recipes to make homemade dog treats. I tried a few different recipes but my favorite was the peanut butter and banana so I’ll be sharing that one with you all today! It’s super simple to make and is only 3 ingredients!! How great!!

What you need:

• 1 large banana
  • 1/2 peanut butter
  • 1 1/2 cups oatmeal

Yield: Typically, 14-24 treats depending on the thickness of each treat

Alternate ingredients may include:

·      Pumpkin and apple

·      Chicken and rice

·      Sweet potato

·      Carrots and salmon

The list can go on forever! And of course feel free to mix and match. Regardless of which ingredients you choose, your pup will love you. Similar to what we as humans eat, each ingredient has different benefits for dogs. For example, peanut butter is great to give your dog. For one, it can keep them distracted and entertained for a while. As far as health benefits, it contains healthy fats, proteins and vitamins. Next, pumpkin is AMAZING for your sweet baby. It contains fiber and is great for pups with a sensitive tummy. It especially helps with constipation or diarrhea.

All items used can be of your choice, just make sure they’re safe for your pup!

Directions:

• First off, you’ll need to preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Then grab a blender or grinder and blend the oatmeal so it’s very fine, sort of similar to flour. You can have some bigger chunks of oatmeal in the mix but majority should be blended through out.
  • Next you will combine the banana and peanut butter in a separate mixing bowl until it’s all mashed together and smooth. Once it’s smooth you can add in the blended oatmeal and mix until combined thoroughly and very dough like.
  • Then you should roll out the dough on your countertop until it’s all even. Once it’s rolled out you can grab whatever cookie cutter you want to use and start cuttin’ away! The thickness of the treat or biscuit is TOTALLY up to you and what you think will be best for your pup. For me personally, I rolled until it was a little more than half an inch thick
  • Bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes or until they start to brown.

Then, let your pup dig in and enjoy!!

Have fun making your very own homemade dog treats and have the satisfaction of knowing they’re healthy too. Your fur baby already can’t to wait to dig in!

Photo Credits: Nikki Ruiz

Written by: Nikki Ruiz 

Student at NMSU, Im an anthropology major. Learning about different cultures, immersing in their traditions and learning new languages fascinates me. Im a food enthusiast, I love to travel and have an intense passion for corgis.