Staying in on Halloween? Here’s What You Should Watch!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NMSU chapter.

As Halloween is getting closer you might have no idea what your plans are. Some people are probably going trick or treating, others are going to the corn maze. But, as college students we still have classes early the next day so I’m suggesting a lists of movies you can watch while you’re staying in at your dorm like myself.

1.Hocus Pocus

If you have never seen hocus pocus it takes place in Salem, Massachusetts after the main protagonist Max Dennison played by Omri Katz explores a abandoned house with his sister Danni played by Thora Birch. Them two along with Max’s crush Allison test the story of the Sanderson sisters and lights the burning candle. By burning the candle he brings back the witches acted by Bette Midler, Sarah Jessica Parker and Kathy Najimy. So now max, Danni and Allison must stop the Sanderson sister from sucking the lives of children and becoming immortal.

2. The Nightmare Before Christmas

This movie is based on the life of Jack Skellington who is Halloween town’s pumpkin king. His life is a constant cycle of Halloween, trick or treating and spooks. Jack eventually becomes bored of his life and ventures on a quest to find another holiday and finds himself in Christmas town. He starts to love the snow, warm spirits and the Christmas gifts then he tries to bring that world to Halloween town, which ends up not going as he planned.

3.The Adams Family Values

The Adams family value which was released on November 19,1993 is the sequel movie to the first Adams family movie. I personally chose this one because out of the two this one is my favorite. In this movie we see that Gomez and his wife Mortecia have a baby boy, but like all movie the siblings are jealous and try to find ways to kill him. After going through a lot of trial and error with killing of the baby the Addams bring in a nanny Debbie who of course looks innocent but has a few skeletons in her closet herself.

4. Corpse Bride

One of my favorite movies to watch is corpse bride directed by Tim Burton. It goes through the life of victor and Victoria’s family arranged marriage and of course victor is obviously nervous and decides to go practice his lines in the forest. Once he gets the lines right a tree branch becomes a hand and drags him to the land of the dead who belongs to Emily. Emily was murdered right after she had eloped with her one true love but decides to marry victor instead. The plot thickens as victor is trying so hard to go above the ground because if he doesn’t get back on time Victoria will end up marrying Barkis Bittern.

5. Beetlejuice

Now this one is another classic. BEETLEJUICE is one of my favorite Halloween movies there is never a Halloween that I don’t watch this. The movie was released in 1988 and in case you had no idea this movie existed here is the back-story. Barbara and Adam Maitland played Geena Davis and Alec Baldwin die in a horrific accident they still continue their home. That is until Deetzes and teen daughter Lydia acted by Winona Ryder move in the Maitland’s try to scare them away. But, with their scares turn out to be unsuccessful they turn to beetle juice (Michael Keaton) for help.

I hope that you all enjoy your Halloween this year and remember to stay safe!

By: Victoria Acosta 

Lover of God, Photography, fashion, and food.
Student at NMSU, Im an anthropology major. Learning about different cultures, immersing in their traditions and learning new languages fascinates me. Im a food enthusiast, I love to travel and have an intense passion for corgis.