The Small and Ignored Issues With Green Day’s New Album, God’s Favorite Band

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NMSU chapter.

Green Day is among one of the most well known bands, that have and will continue to stand the test of time. They’ve been around since 1988 and have released many well known hits.

God’s Favorite Band is not Green Day’s first “greatest hits” album, but their second. The first being International Superhits which was released on November 13th, 2001. It’s interesting primarily because God’s Favorite Band was released on November 17th, 2017.

Both albums were released in November, so what other similarities do these albums share?

First off, both albums include 21 of some of Green Day’s most well known hits. However, ten of these tracks are shared by both of these albums. These tracks are Longview, Welcome to Paradise, Basket Case, When I Come Around, She, Brainstew, Hitchin a Ride, Good Riddance, Minority, and Warning. This is where I see a small issue, because these songs that are shared between the two have already been featured in International Superhits. Therefore, these tracks have already been established as “greatest hits”.

Aside from that, Green Day added tracks on the new album that came after the release of International Superhits, songs from the American Idiot, 21st Century Breakdown, UNO/DOS/TRE, and Revolution Radio era, which are all from 2004 to the present. The issue I see with this, is unlike American Idiot and 21st Century Breakdown, Revolution Radio was only released in 2016, so a lot of the album’s content is still fairly new and unknown.  Therefore making it a little bit difficult to call those particular tracks “greatest hits”

The two newest tracks are Ordinary World (which was on Revolution Radio, but the version on this album includes Miranda Lambert) and Back in the USA, which is actually really good, but still hard to consider a hit, because it’s so new.

These small issues, although small, do lead me to believe that this album could’ve been really amazing, but it was rushed and not much thought was put in.

Regardless, Green Day is and always has been my favorite band, so there’s a high chance I will purchase the CD, and that’s just how a lot of fans are.  If you want to check it out further, click the link here.

Student at NMSU, Im an anthropology major. Learning about different cultures, immersing in their traditions and learning new languages fascinates me. Im a food enthusiast, I love to travel and have an intense passion for corgis.