Sh*t Not To Do/Say On Cinco De Mayo

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NMSU chapter.

Contrary to popular belief, Cinco De Mayo, is not Mexican Independence Day. In fact, Mexico’s Independence Day is actually on Sep. 16, so how the hell did Cinco De Mayo become associated with Mexican Independence?

Even though the holiday is not what it is made to appear, that’s not say that there isn’t a reason to celebrate it. May 5, 1862 was a day of victory for the Mexican army against the French during the French invasion of the country. Mexico’s victory during this battle was a very unlikely outcome and they were very much the underdogs of the battle. Since then, the day of observance has completely been skewed by American culture who don’t even know true meaning and important to the day. Aside from the fact that many often believe it to be Mexico’s independence day, many simply see the holiday as a day to drink, get wild, and gorge themselves with tacos.

Either way, Cinco De Mayo has become more of an American holiday and it’s totally okay to celebrate it. However, here are a few tips to help you celebrate without delving into cultural appropriation and to avoid looking like an insensitive moron.

1. Please don’t go around screaming “Arriba Mexico! Ay ay ay ay!”  Leave that for the experts. 

2. Don’t go to Taco Bell for “Mexican” food. If you want to get a taste of our delicious food, try a local authentic restaurant.

3. Don’t assume we all wear ponchos and sombreros when we celebrate holidays. We do wear the pointy boots though! 

4. “Drinko”, “sandwhicho”, add more ….we’ve heard them all! We think it’s awesome that you want to speak Spanish, but try looking at a dictionary instead of adding “O’s” to all your english words. 

5. Other than the tequila and beer, submerge yourself in the culture! Try listening to some Mexican music– no, not all of our music is Mariachi music. 

6. Definitively take the time to reflect on how much Mexican culture affects you every day(over a few drinks of course). 

Fernanda Teixeira is a senior at New Mexico State University who is majoring in Mass Communication and minoring in Advertising/Marketing. When she's not running around on campus, you can usually find her in the corner shoving her face with jellybeans. Her favorite hobbies include talking 24/7 about her dog, showing people photos of her dog, and seamlessly fitting her dog into everyday conversations. Did I mention she has a dog?