Sexual Assault Goes Beyond Hollywood: The College Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NMSU chapter.

Lately there has been an epidemic of sexual violence in Hollywood. In the early month of October the Harvey Weinstein’s allegations started, after the New Yorker published an article by the women who have been sexually assaulted by Weinstein. Once that happened more than 50 actresses came forward accusing Harvey Weinstein of sexual assault. Here are the some of the actresses who have spoken out against him Angelina jolie, Gwyneth Paltrow, Ashley Judd, Lupita Nyong’o, Molly Ringwald and more.

Every 98 seconds someone in the U.S. is sexually assaulted. So in terms that mean 570 people in our country have experienced sexual assault.

According to the Huffington post, Sexual violence has been a big problem within our American culture. It has been estimated since 1998 that 17,700,000 of women have been a victim to rape and 99 percent of the perpetrators walk free. The percentage of female survivors is low with 13 percent and those that are free usually try to commit suicide.

Not only does sexual violence happen to women but it affects men as well. 28 percent of male victims were first raped when they were 10 years old and younger, according to the U.S department of justice.

I feel as a society we have a lot of rebuilding to do. Now for women like myself who are in college have to always watch our surroundings. Don’t get me wrong we need to do that regardless but now its built on fear. We shouldn’t be scared to walk alone from a late class to our car.

According to Rainn.org, 11.2 percent of student’s undergraduate and graduate experience rape or sexual assault due to physical force. But truth is regardless if you are a student or not young adults ranging from 18-24 are high risk from sexual violence. The sexual violence that occurs on school campuses rarely go reported.

Let that settle in your mind for a bit. As a woman we have to look out for one another. There should be no excuses as to why this continues to happen in campuses around the states. Before moving to New Mexico State University my mom was so overprotective of me. I mean why wouldn’t she? It’s the first time moving away from home and she gave me so many little gadgets to protect myself.

So here are some of stuff she bought in case you ever feel uneasy walking alone on campus at night or you’re going with friends.

• Taser
  • Pepper spray
  • Personal siren

This is the stuff that my mom bought me and you can go to Wal-Mart, Target and your school bookstore. I sometimes carry it around in purse when I know I am going to be out too late.

Ladies and gentlemen or whoever is reading this. Please be cautious of your surroundings especially at night. Always have a buddy system and have your phone and keys in your hand before getting to your car or dorm. Always tell someone where you are going so in case someone needs to find you they know where to go. Sometimes you think this stuff can’t happen to you until it does.

In case you want more information or resources here in Las Cruces, New Mexico check this place out.

La Piñon Sexual Assault Recovery Services of Southern New Mexico 525 S. Melendres St. Las Cruces, NM 88005 24-hour Rape Crisis Hotline: (575) 526-3437 Toll-free: 888-595-7273 www.lapinon.org

By: Victoria Acosta 

Lover of God, Photography, fashion, and food.
Student at NMSU, Im an anthropology major. Learning about different cultures, immersing in their traditions and learning new languages fascinates me. Im a food enthusiast, I love to travel and have an intense passion for corgis.