This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NMSU chapter.

“Hello! I will be graduating college on May 12 and I have no idea what to do with my degree” That one sentence has been on my head every single day when I look in the mirror every morning since the beginning of the semester. I’ve said this phrase for 74 days now and every single day it’s still as horrifying as the day before. I know that I might sound crazy for doing this, but honestly I thought that if I said it enough it might become less horrifying to think about that. Things didn’t work that way, I still have 40 days before graduation so maybe, just maybe if I keep saying it every morning I won’t be as scared during my graduation day, we’ll see!

The last four years of my life have been pretty much the same routine, even though every semester my class schedule changes or I change jobs it is still kind of the same thing. I wake up, get ready, go to class, go to Zuhl to do homework, relax a bit, go to work, come back and go to bed. That is a simple view of what my day to day has looked like for the past four years so just thinking how I have only 40 days left of this routine is terrifying. Life as I  known it so far will completely change once I walk across that stage. As soon as I step in that stage I know that it’s going to be a “whole new woooorld” (sorry for my lame Disney references).

While I am most certainly excited to begin this new stage of my life and leave college behind, I am equally parts scared. Not only because things will be different from now on but because I am not sure if I choose the right degree for me or not. During my undergraduate I changed my major once only, I started as a Criminal Justice Major and I will now be graduating with an Anthropology Major. I love anthropology and it is one of the coolest majors that can exist, we get to learn every day about different cultures, traditions, languages, history and so many other things in the comfort of our classrooms. But, as awesome as anthropology is and as much as I love it now that I am getting closer to obtaining the little piece of paper that say “Certificate” I am questioning if this really was the right major for me. As I look back at how I ended up in this major I realize that I made my choice in a hurry and without thinking about the future.  

I know I’m not the only person to feel this way but trust me you don’t want to feel this way. As the days pass every night before I go to sleep I still have that little voice in my head that says “What are you going to do after college?”  and while at first I freak out and feel cold sweat running through my body I also think that everything will be okay. Things happen sometimes in funny ways that we can’t understand but at the end all of our life choices, no matter if they were good choices or bad choices, are going to help us become the person we need to. After all that is what college is about, right? So, while I keep counting the days to graduation and freak out, I have also started to learn to tell myself that everything is going to be just fine and that I am ready for whatever comes next in life.

Student at NMSU, Im an anthropology major. Learning about different cultures, immersing in their traditions and learning new languages fascinates me. Im a food enthusiast, I love to travel and have an intense passion for corgis.