The Next Binge-Worthy Netflix Series: “Girl Boss”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NMSU chapter.

This past weekend I was lounging around and decided that I needed to find a new series to watch. I opened my Netflix and the first series that popped up was Girl Boss. I was intrigued because I had heard of the book related to the series, that many people have raved about. Girl Boss is a new Netflix original series based on the life of Sophia Amoruso. The series focuses on the journey that Sophia took to start the clothing company Nasty Gal.

In the beginning, she started with finding small vintage clothing pieces and she would style them in a trendy way and resell them on an online website. Sophia’s story of her adventurous journey to taking over the fashion community is incredibly influential.

Sophia Amoruso started off as a misfit girl at the age of twenty-two who could barely keep a job and was never fond of her bosses. She wasn’t inspired by any of the cliché jobs that many encouraged her to apply for, and going back to school was not right for her. She knew that she had a different talent that she could unveil to the world, but she didn’t know what it was.

She took a hobby of thrift shopping and used her unique vision to create a million-dollar company and became her own boss. Even with numerous obstacles in her way she stayed motivated and determined. She broke down the social norms and proved that you can do anything you set your mind to.

This show reminded me, as a viewer, that there are so many different ways to look at the world. You can take a step back and remind yourself that you can do anything and be anything. Life isn’t perfect and you will have to work to reach your goals, but in the end you will feel a fulfilling satisfaction. In college it is very easy to feel discouraged and not have any motivation, but if you remind yourself that all of this studying, sitting through long lectures, and writing endless papers will all benefit you in the end you can in a sense take over the world. You could be the next “Girl Boss”.

I was raised in Albuquerque, NM for most of my life and I decided to attend NMSU to be close to my family. I am currently studying in the CMI program at NMSU. I plan on majoring in Digital Film with a minor in Creative Writing.
Camila is currently a freshman at New Mexico State University and will be the NMSU chapter's campus correspondent. She is working on a major in Finance and a minor in Journalism, is part of a sorority on campus, and also hosts weekly radio shows.