Nearing the End Doesn’t Mean It’s the End

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NMSU chapter.

The end of a semester of college can be hard for anyone, but getting through your last semester of college is even worse. As a graduating senior at my home university, New Mexico State University, that’s exactly how I feel. This semester has been jam packed with many trials and tribulations. These hurdles have not all been academically related either, and it is important for others to realize this is completely normal. Challenges come in many forms during your last semester of college, but that does not mean you are unable to overcome them.

I would like to share some of the difficulties I have faced during the end of my last semester in college and the strategies I used to overcome them. I hope that these issues can be relatable to those of you that read this article. My goal is to help those who are facing the same struggles. I want to motivate and push others to accomplish their goals and reach for their dreams.

The end of the semester can be hard for many reasons. It is overwhelming, stressful, confusing, and trying on someone’s social life. To combat these problems I first had to take a deep breath and analyze what I wanted to accomplish with the rest of my semester. This included checking my current grades, talking to advisors and professors and setting goals for myself. My grades were okay, but I had to remember that this was not an excuse to slack for the rest of the semester. I realized that I worked hard for those grades, and I did not want to through away what I worked so hard for. Yes, “C’s get degrees,” but I know I can do better. This motivation and confidence in myself has allowed me to push through the times where I just wanted to quit and be lazy. Know that you can do anything and know your worth. Don’t settle for less.

Secondly, I made a game plan. This allowed me to get organized and set out strategic steps for the end of my journey. I started my checking my course load and buying a planner that I now use religiously. I wrote down every event, assignment, and holiday that I could think of. This allowed me to also add time for friends, family, and personal time. I know it sounds weird to schedule time for your friends, family and self, but it is completely necessary when you feel overwhelmed and it feels like things are about to spiral out of control.

Next, I proceeded to take things one step at a time. It is important to remember that it is okay of you can’t do everything at the same time. Use your planner and devise a “to-do list.” This allowed me to be calm, collected, organized and on time. Especially during the end of your senior semester, people are looking at you for internships and future job opportunities. Future employers may want to speak to your professors to see what kind of student you were, and you don’t want to be the student that was always late and unorganized. This will also prepare you for the future by creating good work habits.

Lastly, I want people to know that the end of the semester is trying for everyone, and they are not alone. Please reach out to others for further help and guidance because they most likely feel very similar to you. This was one of the most helpful things I did in college. It motivated me to work harder, and the support system I found within my peers made a huge difference.

I have faith in everyone’s abilities to accomplish anything they put their minds to. It is easy to follow the simple and subtle changes that I made that are helping me accomplish my goals. Keep your head up, prioritize, get organized, stay strong, don’t be afraid to reach out, and remember your potential.

I'd consider us friends if you've made it to my profile, so please call me Ruth Ann. I am a senior at NMSU that is studying Agricultural Communications and Journalism/ Mass Media. I love to write, report, and take photographs. I also hope to obtain a career in media and journalism in the near future! Wish me luck!
Student at NMSU, Im an anthropology major. Learning about different cultures, immersing in their traditions and learning new languages fascinates me. Im a food enthusiast, I love to travel and have an intense passion for corgis.