absolutvision Z20wtGu1OH4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
absolutvision Z20wtGu1OH4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

National Pumpkin Day Plants A Seed Through The Country

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NMSU chapter.

Today in the United States, lovers of all things pumpkin, both edible and non-edible, big and small, orange and white, rejoice today, October 26th, and celebrate National Pumpkin Day.

National Pumpkin Day is a day dedicated every year to enjoy both sweet and savory foods like pies, cakes, pasta, bread, even lasagna, all made with pumpkin. Although the original creator of National Pumpkin Day has never been determined, thousands of Americans celebrate today not only by eating all things pumpkin, but also by carving and decorating pumpkins with friends and family. Pumpkin has made such an impact on the fall season, it’s become a household name and ingredient in many recipes.

The infamous fruit catches the entire country’s attention, especially in New Mexico. The Mesilla Valley Maze in Las Cruces, NM is home to a 20-acre pumpkin patch, where New Mexican families can choose their perfect pumpkin from dozens of different options. The McCall pumpkin patch of southern New Mexico is another option for residents of the area to participate in pumpkin picking and decorating.

Although overlooked, pumpkins and pumpkin patches bring together people across the country through common appreciation for the fruit. Today on National Pumpkin Day, think about how pumpkins can be related to your own life!

Camila is currently a freshman at New Mexico State University and will be the NMSU chapter's campus correspondent. She is working on a major in Finance and a minor in Journalism, is part of a sorority on campus, and also hosts weekly radio shows.