This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NMSU chapter.

The semester is starting to come to an end and that means finals are right around the corner. It is very easy to feel overwhelmed and stressed out during this time and that is perfectly normal. Stress is natural, but too much stress can be very dangerous. Most students are so focused on studying for their finals, that they forget to take time to relax. Stress can cause headaches, restlessness, fatigue, and irritability.  Here are a few ways that you can avoid those symptoms and tackle the stress.

Make a relaxing playlist

Music has been shown to have many health benefits. In some medical practices, doctors have had their patients listen to music through headphones before and after surgery to relieve the stress that was caused during the procedure.  Soft music can slow your heartrate, lower your blood pressure, and decrease the three major stress hormones.

Go for a walk

Many studies have found that spending 20-30 minutes a week walking outside can improve your memory and attention span up to twenty percent. Walking can also boost endorphins which can also help reduce hormones such as adrenaline, cortisol, and norepinephrine. Boosting your endorphins can improve your mood and self-esteem as well. If you want to relieve stress even faster another alternative is going for a nice jog.

Pick better snacks

If you are anything like me, eating while studying or doing homework is a daily ritual. Ditch the junk food and pick a snack that is good for you. Vitamin C is a natural stress reliever so citrus fruits such as oranges, strawberries, and grapefruit are great alternatives. If you have a sweet tooth, a good option is dark chocolate. Dark chocolate can lower your blood pressure and cholesterol which can boost your mood.

Take a dance break

Everyone has their limits, and taking a break from homework or studying can be very beneficial. Similar to going for a walk, dancing releases endorphins. Endorphins are the body’s natural pain killers so they help improve the minds perception of certain activities. This can also relieve tension, improve your mood, and build self-confidence. To be honest, dancing can be a lot of fun as well.

A healthy body is a healthy mind. By using these tips, you can take some weight off your shoulders and finish off the semester strong.

I was raised in Albuquerque, NM for most of my life and I decided to attend NMSU to be close to my family. I am currently studying in the CMI program at NMSU. I plan on majoring in Digital Film with a minor in Creative Writing.
Camila is currently a freshman at New Mexico State University and will be the NMSU chapter's campus correspondent. She is working on a major in Finance and a minor in Journalism, is part of a sorority on campus, and also hosts weekly radio shows.