Burning Up With School Pride

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NMSU chapter.

Heat. Fire. Wolves. Pistols. Rivalry.

In 1894, a rivalry was formed between New Mexico State University and University of New Mexico, called the Rio Grande Rivalry. It was formerly known as the I-25 Rivalry, because both schools are located on the interstate. Today, there is an annual football game between the two schools that brings out the utmost spirit of students and alumni from either school. Preceding the glorified game, student governments from both UNM and NMSU put on a school wide rally to ignite spirit on campus.

In UNM’s rally, a float in the shape of Pistol Pete is burned, and in NMSU’s rally, a float of  Lobo Louie is burned. This Thursday, to follow up with tradition, students gathered at the Pan American parking lot for ASNMSU’s annual ‘Burn the Lobo’ event. It was lit. Ten minutes before lighting the Lobo, students from all around campus migrated toward the parking lot in dyer anticipation of an exciting tradition. There was shouting and singing and music that blared in your ears and drummed against your rib cage. Wooden pallets were stacked around the Lobo float foreshadowing the size the flame would reach. Jitters began to pass around as firefighters began to catch the wooden pallets on fire. Slowly, the flame grew and eventually caught up to Louie Lobo. It did not take long for the wolf to sustain a flame that had students stumbling backwards in blinding light and powerful heat. The shouting and chanting continued as the Lobo entirely disintegrated into the ground, our school pride lit up by its flame.

Aggies (especially freshmen), if you are not already planning on attending this year’s Rio Grande Rivalry football game, put it on your schedule because no one should miss this perfect opportunity to tailgate with friends and make your school spirit known.