This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Newcastle chapter.

Winter is well behind us now, especially with these last few days of sunshine in Newcastle and with summer approaching too, spring can be a hard time in terms of styling as it is such a transition period. It has been too hot for winter jumpers and jeans but sometimes a bit too chilly for the typical short and skirt summer look. Spring wardrobes are not difficult to create and often include staple pieces which can be styled differently in the different seasons. 

1. Jumpsuits 

Jumpsuits are really on trend at the moment, they are literally everywhere and so easy to get your hands on. They look so effortlessly stylish and so are a staple in any Spring wardrobe. They can also be very inexpensive, and brands like Primark have been the best place recently to get your hands on a jumpsuit (for around £13). They are so easy to wear but have so many different styles; plunge necks, long sleeves and short sleeves, different prints. With a denim jacket and some sunglasses, a jumpsuit provides the perfect transition piece from spring to summer.

2. Wide-leg trousers

As well as being a staple on any holiday, wide-leg and floaty trousers are essential for a spring wardrobe, especially as they can be dressed up for a night out in Newcastle or dressed down during the day. They are such a versatile piece and if you don’t think it’s warm enough for bare legs, the light material is much more comfortable than jeans, meaning you’ll easily gravitate towards them over your favourite denim you’ve worn all winter.

3. Bandeau Tops

Bandeau tops are everywhere around Newcastle at the moment, again, both on nights out and during the day as they are both sexy and easy to wear and a go-to for most students. On a cooler spring day, they can be worn with jeans, and this still looks like a spring outfit because of their bright colours and light fabrics. A really cool way to style a bandeau is with layered necklaces. It is so easy to do and yet adds so much detail to the outfit. For a beach day, they are perfect when styled with a denim mini skirt or wide leg trousers as previously mentioned.

4. Bardot Tops

The Bardot style top seems to come in and out of trend, and for this Springtime, they are definitely back in. They are perfect for spring as they can be worn when it is warm enough to have bare shoulders, and yet some are long sleeved, meaning you don’t always need a jacket with them. A black Bardot top with blue denim (a skirt or jeans) is such an easy look and definitely perfect for a day in the library if you still want to look chic without putting much effort in. Nothing beats French style for adding something continental to your jeans-and-a-nice-top look.

5. Animal print

Not everyone is a fan of animal print, however, this is a trend that is certainly one to stay. For this spring, the new obsession seems to be cow print, with Pretty Little Thing releasing their new festival collection which features a lot of this print, most probably influenced by the Western trends floating around on in the high-street shops right now. Although the leopard print certainly has not declined in popularity, with two pieces, bandeaus and trousers appearing in many top brand and Asos collections, showing that this print it is still definitely on trend.