This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Newcastle chapter.

RAG stands for ‘Raising And Giving’ and is a regular weeks event at universities in the UK focused on raising money for charities, fun events, daily activities and night-time socialising. Newcastle’s RAG week is seriously big and is the biggest University-wide fundraising event on campus. 

Starting this week you can get involved in all kinds of events from Bingo, Ceilidh Dance, Take me Out, Talent Shows… If you’d rather just see what’s on-campus be intrigued by puppies on campus, Man vs. Food, vintage clothing fairs and so much more! There really is a lot on that doesn’t require a lot of involvement, so if you have just had your exams it also gives you the perfect opportunity to wind down. 

This year the chosen societies are very varied, as Newcastle is fundraising for Heel and Toe, a cerebral palsy charity, Bright Red fighting against blood cancer, Dementia UK, Student Minds that aims to improve mental health help at universities, Doctors of the World UK that aims to bring easier access to healthcare and Emergency UK that provides health care for victims of war and poverty. 

All of these activities will be available through the RAG Week Facebook page and their own webpage, so go check them out and get involved with the week in any way to raise some of that Newcastle spirit. 

I am a student at Newcastle University in the UK and I am currently studying Combined Honours in English Literature and History of Art. I love writing about university experiences, fashion and travel, and I personally have visited Japan six times just to get to know the culture! I have my own blog on www.stylion.me where I write about Michelin starred sushi, travel around Japan and the UK, culture and fashion. I have previously covered fashion events in Poland and England, and when I am not analysing artworks for my degree I binge on old Alexander McQueen catwalk shows.