Style

Buying a Great Spring Handbag

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Newcastle chapter.

So when stumbling across the bag section on Asos, I decided to take a peek with childish enthusiasm. Now the truth is, looking for a bag is probably the hardest thing anyone can do, including shopping for jeans or shoes. With shoes, your shoe size does not change- and your style when it comes to shoe shopping knows exactly what it wants, and well, goes for it. But when it comes to bag shopping, that’s a whole different story. The amount of care you have to put in to make sure the specifications of the bag (such as the size, how deep it is, if the materials are durable and if I will be actually able to put everything in) are exactly right, since most good bag companies are mid-range in price, while even with heels you can occasionally cheat and go for something a tad cheaper.

So what are the essentials when it comes to bag shopping? These are extremely important especially if you are buying an investment piece, as nothing counts more than making sure your bag ticks all the right boxes.

1. Take the material into account first. 

Usually, if the material is good enough, you can proceed to the next step. Good materials for bags are leather, of course, as well as a range of thick canvases. Fake leather tends to crease and fall off after a period of one year, and nothing is more annoying than buying a bag and having to throw it away so soon. Other materials and fabrics have to be tested to make sure that they can handle the wear and tear.

2. Then consider the shape and depth. 

Yes, most people would put this as the first point, but if the material is not good enough, my honest thought is just to not get the bag. The shape of the bag, of course, depends on what will be carried inside it, whether only your travel card, phone and Vaseline, or all your books, folders and laptop for university. Now even if there is an awkwardly shaped object, that does not mean that the bag is impossible to make. Drawstring bags have a flexible and wide top, as well as usually being of canvas, which makes them more durable than thick plastic bags, for example. For small objects, the shapes can be virtually limitless, while if the wearer decides to make their stylish bag a heavy-load carrier, then they have to take into consideration the material and the straps, as well as the lining for fear of ripping the bag during a hectic day.

3. Straps and zippers (or other fastenings). 

Make sure that when you hang the bag on your shoulder, it does not get in the way of your elbow- properly weighed out bags do not push themselves onto the awkward areas, similar to a great pair of shoes. Straps should not be very thin- the thinner the strap, the less practical the bag, as anything tearing could also result in the potential loss of precious objects. Around 3cm for a strap is safe, especially when made from leather- with cord and other thinner fabrics, the best thing to do it to somehow reinforce the weak points of the strap- usually either at the top (where the shoulder is) or at the bottom (near to the top of the bag) by taping or adding additional material. Fastenings are extremely important- most female handbags do not have a specific zipper right at the top, preferring to insert a magnet midway to hold the edges of a bag together. There are multiple advantages of having a zipper right at the top- the content inside is constantly protected and there is no risk of the content falling out. 

4. Pockets are your best friends. 

Maybe not for some people, but for students, one of the most important lessons when it comes to working is- be organized. If you cannot be organized, make sure that even in some aspects, your work is neat and tidy. Where better to start than with the bag? The most basic of bags should have at least one separate pocket for your small items (these are usually small side bags with a minuscule zipper). Remember to write out a list of all the essentials that you carry with you when you go to work- phone, keys, notepad, diary/calendar, chewing gum, lunchbox, laptop… Making sure that your laptop has a separate compartment in your bag would make sure that it is damage-free and clean the whole time.

5. Design and lining are the creatively controlled parts. 

When it comes to the design, the choices become much easier but don’t just get swayed by style or fabric. When it comes to bags, practicality might not actually be such a bad thing, as what most people miss out on is the truly important aspects of bag choosing above. Do not limit yourself when it comes to the lining- it can add a surprising and welcoming pop of colour to an otherwise plain black or neutral bag. Try making it personal, so getting your bag lined with your favourite colour, for example. This way, you’ll have a bag which is unique to you.

I am a student at Newcastle University in the UK and I am currently studying Combined Honours in English Literature and History of Art. I love writing about university experiences, fashion and travel, and I personally have visited Japan six times just to get to know the culture! I have my own blog on www.stylion.me where I write about Michelin starred sushi, travel around Japan and the UK, culture and fashion. I have previously covered fashion events in Poland and England, and when I am not analysing artworks for my degree I binge on old Alexander McQueen catwalk shows.