This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Newcastle chapter.

There is nothing worse than paying more for something than you needed to. From bread to mascara, finding a cheaper alternative is key. So here is a list of the best beauty buys for all you budget-savvy ladies!

1. Essence Lash Princess Volume Mascara – £3.30

Essence is one of the most slept-on beauty brands in the UK, and one of the cheapest! With this mascara costing only £3.30, it’s a total steal. Though it is described as a volume mascara, it also provides length, and the wet formula allows you to rectify a disaster before it dries. This is the one mascara I have ever repurchased and is a ‘ride or die’ product. There are three in the Lash Princess range, but keep an eye out for the one with the pink top.

2. Essence 2 in 1 eyeshadow & liner (waterproof) -£2.80

As someone with oily eyelids, I find it difficult to get eyeshadows to stay where I want them. So many people have the same problem and this product is perfect! Though not advertised as such, this product is the perfect base for a metallic or shimmery shadow and will stay all day. To achieve this, I use the shade 02 Peach Perfect and then I swipe a little over my eyelids. Then I glide the eyeshadow over the top for a much more intense shimmer.

3. Boots Tea Tree & Witch Hazel Shine Control Day Moisturiser – £4.19

Nothing is more integral to makeup than good skincare, and this moisturiser works wonders for combination skin. Though it is a light moisturiser, the tea tree and witch hazel offer a cooling effect that calms redness and helps to prevent breakouts. When going for the fresher-faced look that has been all the rage recently, I recommend applying foundation straight after the moisturiser.

4. Natural Collection Brow Gel – £2.49

For tamed and filled-in brows a tinted brow gel is perfect. This product can be swiped through the brows with the ‘spoolie’ applicator for a low maintenance look or used with an angled eyebrow brush for a stronger, more Instagram-style brow. Brow gels tend to look more natural than powder so this is something that won’t give you a boxy brow.

5. MUA Luxe Velvet Lip Lacquer – £3

Who needs a Lime Crime Matte ‘Velvetine’ or a Jeffree Star Velour Liquid Lipstick when you can get a comfortable matt lipstick for £3? The range offers a good variety of shades including nudes, oranges and if you are feeling funky, a daring blue. They do not last through food or drink but this is easily rectified when reapplied as they do not look cakey when layered.

6. Makeup Revolution Ultra Eye Contour – Shade and Light – £8

A dupe for the Kat von D Shade + Light palette, these shadows do not disappoint. Though there is a fair amount of fallout, the pigmentation is incredible. The easily blendable shades make creating a subtle nude eye look effortless (and affordable!). Even though this is the most expensive item on the list, the original costs £37, so this dupe is certainly incredibly good value. I can’t wait until Makeup Revolution bring a dupe out of the Glimmer Shade + Light too.

7. Barry M Matte Me Up Lip Kit – £5.99

If the overall cost of a Kylie Jenner Lip Kit puts you off, Barry M has got your back. This year they released the ‘Matte Me Up’ lip kit range, including two shimmer lip kits. Layering with these can be a little tricky when using the liquid lipstick alone, but when used alongside the liner the lip look fades elegantly. 

Scarlett Rowland

Newcastle '19

Scarlett Rowland is currently reading for a Classics degree at Newcastle University. Alongside being the chapter coordinator for Her Campus, she is an editor for the arts section of the student newspaper and a writer for The Tab Newcastle. After university, she hopes to work in the creative industry.