Culture > News

The Word of the Year is ‘Feminism,’ but White Women Still Voted for Roy Moore

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New School chapter.

Coincidentally, Merriam-Webster Dictionary announced that ‘feminism’ was its word of the year on the same day that Democrat Doug Jones won an unprecedented Senatorial election in Alabama. The deep red state hasn’t seen a Democrat in the senatorial seat in 25 years, which means that this is a huge blow to our Republican President. More so, Jones beat out Roy Moore, a man who has been accused of sexual misconduct with teenage girls when he was in his 30s, making him a potential child molester.

What’s ironic about these events occurring on the same day is that 63% of white women voters in Alabama voted for Moore, while 97% of black women voters elected Jones. These are staggering numbers, especially when remembering that President Trump won the white women’s vote in the 2016 general election by 52% (and this was across the country, not just in Alabama).

I am deeply troubled that in this age of feminism, some women are not willing to step back and realize that there are other women more vulnerable to the realities of predators like Roy Moore and Donald Trump than them. Considering white women already earn more than their fellow women of color, although not as much as white men, you would think they would be willing to step back and examine how their privilege impacts others in their state. What brings white women to vote for a man who allegedly raped children? Why does political ideology beat common decency (or simply common sense) when it comes to maintaining political tradition? Why are people so scared of changing their vote when it matters?

These are critical questions, and they will continue to be important during the 2018 midterm elections. Black women and other women of color should not be the only ones doing the hard work of speaking out and showing up in their communities, white women need to do it too. It’s not enough to show up to the Women’s March once and take a selfie, the work of change and advancement for ALL women and marginalized groups begins with the acknowledgement that we are all in this together at every moment, of everyday, and for every future election to come.

[Feature Image by Unsplash]

If you're interested HCTNS, please e-mail us at hc.newschool@hercampus.com