nastuh abootalebi yWwob8kwOCk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nastuh abootalebi yWwob8kwOCk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Career

Welcome to the Real World: Routes to Snagging Your First Job

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New School chapter.

Oftentimes, the idea of your first job comes with the stereotype that you’ll either be serving fries at a fast food restaurant, mopping down floors late at night, or gaining more frustration than valuable experience. While I am a big believer that no matter what kind of work you’re doing, you should commit your all to it, I also believe that your first working experience can actually be pretty rewarding!

Based on conversations with other women like myself, and my own personal experience, I’ve compiled a list of varying options on how to take that first leap of faith into the working environment. We are blessed to be living in New York City, the place where opportunities are endless, so I challenge you to use this list as a starting point within the plethora of diverse options out there.

Volunteering

I love this option because it is the one that I am currently experiencing! As someone interested in arts administration, I decided that volunteering at a museum was the perfect place to start my work journey. While it may seem contradictory to work without pay, employers love to see that you’re willing to give your time simply because you believe in what you’re doing; sans monetary compensation. This kind of work ethic is one that will definitely boost your resume, hence making the prospect of finding a good-paying job down the line a lot smoother.

On-Campus Jobs

For those of us who are new to the city or looking for jobs that are especially sensitive to our school schedules, on-campus jobs are definitely a go-to. You can choose from options as varied as nightly janitorial positions, to library assistants, to helping out the Parsons Making Centre. You could even apply to help run TNS’ social media accounts. Check out the Student Employment page for over 150 positions that are open to both undergraduate and graduate students across The New School.

Student Organizations

Believe it or not, employers love seeing you participate in activities that both pertain to your career goals and your passions. By joining campus organizations that have to do with your intended career path, you can actually begin to take on relevant leadership roles within your community that can result in some incredible resume building opportunities. For a list of our on campus organizations and information on how to start your own club, check out the Office of Student Development and Activities webpage or visit them on the third floor of 72 5th Ave.

Minimum Wage Work

There’s no way around it, sometimes you do need to work somewhere that you may not be crazy about in order to save up those much needed extra bucks. If this is the option that you need to resort to, try to seek out stores, restaurants, or other businesses that you actually frequent, so you can make the most of those employee discounts you are bound to receive. Furthermore, apply to several different positions so you’ll have a wide pool to choose from and can take charge of your decision.

Interning

This is your classic college opportunity, and there’s a reason why it’s so popular! Interning is the perfect way to either get your foot in the door of your dream industry, or try out a couple of different experiences before settling on a career path. While you will probably start out with some unpaid gigs, your internships will gradually become more high profile and eventually help you seal the deal on a kick-a** job if you work up that resume. Not to mention, Student Success has an entire network of resources regarding how to land your internship and register it for class credit.

If you're interested HCTNS, please e-mail us at hc.newschool@hercampus.com