Kick Off the NYC Spring Season With These April Events

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New School chapter.

It’s official! Winter storms are bidding a farewell, your layers of sweaters are slowly decreasing in count, and spring is finally here! New Yorkers are ready to come out of hibernation to enjoy their playground again and the city is well-prepared. Whether it’s a sunny morning, a breezy day, or a rainy weekend, here are five April events you won’t want to miss.

Smorgasburg

The largest open-air food market in America just opened for the season! Smorgasburg is home to more than 100 vendors, serving all sorts of food, drinks, and snacks with breathtaking skyline views of the city. This year’s crowd-favorite? The spaghetti doughnut! Because why not? Other deliciousness includes scallion pancakes stuffed with popcorn chicken, matcha ice cream, and dragon fruit bowls.

Smorgasburg will be open Saturdays on the Williamsburg waterfront (we suggest taking the ferry if the weather is nice) and Sundays at Prospect Park. For more information, check out the Smorgasburg website Here.

Spa Week

New York is home to some of the world’s best beauty centers, massage facilities, and spa retreats. But let’s face it, as tempting as a $500 facial sounds, it’s just not in the budget of your typical college student. If only these places offered a week of discounted treatments where we can get pampered like princess without breaking the bank…

Guess what? They do.

Mark your calendars because from April 17 to April 23, Spa Week will allow you to enjoy lavish facials, massages and treatments for $50! That’s right, even the $500 experiences will be marked down to $50. Trust us, you wouldn’t want to miss this opportunity.

To find participating locations and treaments, visit www.spaweek.com

LIC Flea & Food

Long Island City Flea & Food is your one-stop destination for food, drinks, jewelry, art, fashion, crafts, and more. Events such as Beer & Taco Takedown, BBQ & Brews, and the annual Queens Beer Festival all go down here. With musical performances, amazing views, and a laid-back ambiance, Long Island City Flea & Food is a guaranteed good time.

Open Saturdays and Sundays, rain or shine. Link to more information and events calendar here.

Gorillaz Spirit House

If you’re anything like us, then you jumped for joy when you heard about the Gorillaz comeback. And so far, they have not disappointed. If you haven’t heard “Saturnz Barz” yet, check it out below.

The house looks sick, doesn’t it? Don’t you wish you can go check it out?

Welll, Gorillaz are preparing an immersive pop-up experience in Brooklyn which they will call “Spirit House.” Teased in the “Saturn Barz” video, this experience will allow fans to “bathe in high-tech sound, feast on unearthly visuals and let the experience take you on the ultimate trip.”

If that doesn’t sound like a good time, we don’t know what does.

Open for one weekend only (April 21 to April 23), this pop-up will then take-off to Europe for good. Tickets are free, but RSVP needed. Sign up here

Cherry Blossom Festival at the Brooklyn Botanical Garden

If you’re free on the last weekend of April, then make sure to stop at Sakura Matsuri, or the Cherry Blossom Festival. Sakura Matsuri celebrates Japanese culture with art and performances in tribute to the Botanical Garden’s collection of cherry trees. This is sure to be a peaceful yet pleasant time to relax, unwind, and witness nature’s true beauty in spectacular rose and pink shades.

Free with Garden admission. More on the event and weather rescheduling (if applicable) through the Brooklyn Botanical Garden website here.

Rama Majzoub

New School

Rama is Editor in Chief and Campus Correspondent at The New School. She is on track to graduate with a master's in psychology in spring of 2018.
If you're interested HCTNS, please e-mail us at hc.newschool@hercampus.com